Fresh Orange Peel vs. Homebrew Store's Bitter Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the bitter orange peel that you get from the homebrew shop is from the curacao orange which even goats wont eat. It is for bittering purposes, and has no orange citrus flavor to it. The coriander seed is where you get the orange citrus flavor/aroma from. you want to shread the bitter orange peel and use it sparingly.

I dont have flaked wheat, go figure! I just realized it :(

I'm gonna sub 50/50 flaked barley and flaked oats (quaker whole oats?)

So should I spring for the HBS orange peel?

use instant or quick cook cream of wheat or quick cook oatmeal. Cheap store name brands are just as good as quaker

rice hulls if you can get them will help runoff if you go high in the unmalted wheat and oats.

if you can get seville oranges they have that high bitterness to their peels otherwise get the homebrew shop bitter orange peel

The flaked wheat is 24% of the grain bill.

I dont have access to cream of wheat here either :(

And my HBS is out of rice hulls :(

But I'll make do with it.

Thanks for the advice OLDBREW!

Do they have whole wheat berries there? you can mill the unmalted wheat then boil it like old fashion oatmeal for 15 to gelatinize it, then cool it and add to the mash. 122*F dough in and rest with the pils or 2 row malt then bring it up to 149*F for the saach rest.

Oats with flaked barley will not give you what unmalted wheat does

I've always used fresh oranges and zested them myself and really liked the aroma and hint of flavor I got from them.

How much are you using for a five gallon batch? I'm zesting as we speak and am looking to get about 1oz for my hefe. Does that sounds like a good number to shoot for? Thanks homer.

It's right around there. Some like a little more, some like a little less. I would shoot for about 1 oz. Maybe you'll end up liking .75, or 1.5.

Back