Hop Farm San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cray

Reaction score
I'm starting a small scale hop farm this year in north county San Diego I’ve grown 6 varieties with great success the last 2 years and making the jump to a larger scale this year with 400 plants and eventually 5000. I will offer 10 varieties: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Glacier, Hallertau, Horizon, Magnum, Nugget, Willamette. All will be sold as whole hops in vacuum sealed Mylar bags in 2 ounce and 1 pound size. Price will be $1.50/ounce and $18.00/pound. Just PM me for additional info, web site coming soon!

Steadfast Farms

How is your growing going. I live in La mesa and would love to stop by and see your set up, if possible.

Another La Mesa homebrewer! Good to see people are brewing and growing in my area!

Do you grow hops? I'm interested in trying and would like to see how someone has done it. I have to order rhizomes soon, so I need to do some homework.

sd6104 said:
Do you grow hops? I'm interested in trying and would like to see how someone has done it. I have to order rhizomes soon, so I need to do some homework.

Yes I grow my own hops. I'm currently waiting on my own rhizomes to come in for the new hop yard, I have 6 plants currently that I transplanted to a new area but at this point there's not much to show?
This is an all around great guide
http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf
Also go on you tube and search "hops tv" there are 8 episodes that walk you through a commercial hop yard and there processes. Hope this helps

Yep, have 2 plants going on their 3rd and 4th years. (Cascade and Tetanger) Just gave away my huge Northern Brewer crown to a guy on craigslist on some farm. This forum is usually pretty good on questions and the above mentioned links work as well.

How is your growing going. I live in La mesa and would love to stop by and see your set up, if possible.
Didnt realize we had so many from La Mesa around here :) I'm growing Willaimette (first year) and a Cascade (first year) Also Have a centennial, Brewers Gold and Cascade that are second year. The Second year hops didnt do well at all last year, I'm hoping my new afternoon shade setup will keep the roots cooler and make for better growing conditions this year.

Didnt realize we had so many from La Mesa around here :) I'm growing Willaimette (first year) and a Cascade (first year) Also Have a centennial, Brewers Gold and Cascade that are second year. The Second year hops didnt do well at all last year, I'm hoping my new afternoon shade setup will keep the roots cooler and make for better growing conditions this year.

Riverside here. I'm ready to plant some Centennial, cascade, and Columbus, as soon as this darn rain stops.I live on 1/2 acre, have excellent soil, and get plenty of sun. From what I have read those varieties like lots of sun. i see you mentioned shade. Do you think too much sun is a problem here ??

Riverside here. I'm ready to plant some Centennial, cascade, and Columbus, as soon as this darn rain stops.I live on 1/2 acre, have excellent soil, and get plenty of sun. From what I have read those varieties like lots of sun. i see you mentioned shade. Do you think too much sun is a problem here ??[/QUOTE

Cray could probably answer this better since he has a successful farm, but from what I understand our climate is a little too hot/dry for the root system of the hops so its important to keep them somewhat protected from the hottest part of the day. There ios pretty limited info on hops growing in southern California but I'm gonna give this a shot and see what happens. Mine were in full sun last year and they did horrible.

I'm almost in La Mesa, I'm in College Area right on the edge at College/University.

I would be interested in buying local hops, are you growing them on your property in Valley Center?

I will try to keep this in mind come harvest time. Good luck with the growing!

WOW..... Lots of San Diego Homebrewers.... Campo here.
I have been growing my own hops for the last 5 years... keep expanding the hop yard. Ordered 25 new Cascade plants this year.

Home Brew mart has about 7 varieties right now and American Homebrew Supply in Kearney Mesa should have his by now as well.

I have been meaning to stop by HBM, maybe I will do that this evening...

I bought mine fromthem about 10 days ago, planted them the follwing day and they are now about an inch out of the ground already. Good Rhizomes.

Kinda off the subject...... but where do you guys buy your grain? and what size batches are you brewing?

Kinda off the subject...... but where do you guys buy your grain? and what size batches are you brewing?

Home Brew Mart, they have a motorized grain mill at your disposal. I brew 5.5 Gallon batches.
Homebrew4less and American Homebrew supply both have hand cranks. Both are closer to me but screw hand cranking 9-13 lbs of grain.

Back on topic now, it gets pretty hot in Campo during the summer right? How do you keep your hops from burning up? Was checking out your web page, that's a lot of hop variety.

I also go to HBM (if I buy locally) or buy from BMW online if I am already ordering other things. I am upgrading to brew 10 gal batches, but haven't started that yet.

Back on topic now, it gets pretty hot in Campo during the summer right? How do you keep your hops from burning up? Was checking out your web page, that's a lot of hop variety.

The summers do get pretty hot, but I have not really had any problems with the hops burning..... try to keep plenty of water on the ground for them. I need to update my web page, I have planted all the hops in the ground now and they are doing real good. I am looking into expanding the hop yard with more hops and some different ones. Hoping to get around 30 of each growing soon. Now that I have stepped up to 30 gallon batches, it takes alot of hops per batch.

The summers do get pretty hot, but I have not really had any problems with the hops burning..... try to keep plenty of water on the ground for them. I need to update my web page, I have planted all the hops in the ground now and they are doing real good. I am looking into expanding the hop yard with more hops and some different ones. Hoping to get around 30 of each growing soon. Now that I have stepped up to 30 gallon batches, it takes alot of hops per batch.

Do you keep your roots shaded at all or just water everyday? Myabe the hot sun wasnt the issue with mine last year. Hmmm.

Shading the roots is something I haven't thought about. I might have to do that this year if it turns into a hot summer.

Would definitely like to buy some fresh hops.

I'm in the south bay - but frequent La Mesa quite often for work.

I knew there were lots of SD brewers, cool to finally see a thread with all of ya guys in it.

Double post, but I noticed someone talking about grain.

I went to HBM once and left immediately because of the prices. (of extract)

Now that I've started AG I'm wondering where people go as well - American home brewing seems alright, but haven't checked out HBM

and the place in North Park - well.. I dunno about them, they don't seem to know a thing - so I'm not so sure about buying anything to go into a beer I make again...

Double post, but I noticed someone talking about grain.

I went to HBM once and left immediately because of the prices. (of extract)

Now that I've started AG I'm wondering where people go as well - American home brewing seems alright, but haven't checked out HBM

and the place in North Park - well.. I dunno about them, they don't seem to know a thing - so I'm not so sure about buying anything to go into a beer I make again...

I don't think HBM's prices on grain are too bad. You might be able to get it cheaper online but I like to be able to taste it. And as I already stated earlier, that grain mill is nice. I get a pretty consistent 79-80% efficiency with it. I also like the fact their grain has a little more info about the grain on the grain bin like color, type of beers commonly used with and how well modified it is. Given my other two choices close to me, I prefer to go to HBM. :mug:

Alright.... Rhizomes arrived from Alt. Bev. They shipped big ones with lots of sprouts on them. Planted them this weekend, should be seeing some growth soon. Last years plants are already sprouting back up and looking good. Guess I had better get the trellis built again.

I like Mother Earth Brewing Co in Vista (brewery/HBS). I am in San Marcos and they have a great selection of grain and huge a mill (they use the same one for thier 3 barrel batches). It seems like over kill when they pur my 6 lbs of grain in it! MEBC also sells local hops from Star B Ranch located between Ramona and Julian.

I have a friend in Valley center that just started home brewing and wants to grow hops on his avocado/orange field. I just want to use some of his land to grow mine! I have 2 Willamettes and 3 Magnums and I am out of room :(.

Are you going to get the AA tested?

I don't think HBM's prices on grain are too bad. You might be able to get it cheaper online but I like to be able to taste it. And as I already stated earlier, that grain mill is nice. I get a pretty consistent 79-80% efficiency with it. I also like the fact their grain has a little more info about the grain on the grain bin like color, type of beers commonly used with and how well modified it is. Given my other two choices close to me, I prefer to go to HBM. :mug:

Also I've heard (but I haven't done this myself yet) that HBM will let you buy 50lb sacks, and keep a tab of how much you take. In other words, you buy 50 lbs, take home 10 lbs and you take home a card or something that says you have a balance of 40 lbs.

Someone else who has done this might chime in, not sure of the details.

That is correct, I haven't done it either but Dan, the owner of Mother Earth Brewing Co told me that they offer that and he plans on doing the same in the future.

There's also a new place in El cajon that just opened this week. He is now closest to me so going to try him out. Place is called all about homebrew. However I did buy a 50# bag of 2-row at hbm so.... need to use that up. Can't remember the price but its a better deal than buying it by the lb.

Here is the Hop yard so far.....
Watering system and more trellis are going in this weekend

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There's also a new place in El cajon that just opened this week. He is now closest to me so going to try him out. Place is called all about homebrew. However I did buy a 50# bag of 2-row at hbm so.... need to use that up. Can't remember the price but its a better deal than buying it by the lb.

Do you have an address for this place in El Cajon? That would be alot closer for me. Can they handle large grain orders and milling?

Do you have an address for this place in El Cajon? That would be alot closer for me. Can they handle large grain orders and milling?

I don't have an address but he is right off of the 8 at Johnson and Arnele ave across from Parkway Plaza. He has a descent size grain mill with a motor so you dont have to hand crank kit. He said he wont have all the grain in just yet but that was last week before he opened up. He may have everything you need. The owner's name is Jim, he's a nice guy.

Here is the Hop yard so far.....
Watering system and more trellis are going in this weekend

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is looking really nice. My wife and I are looking at property in east San Diego county. I'm gonna do the same thing when we find one.

Allright this is great a place in El Cajon thats only 5 minutes away if that. WOOOHOOOOO I am so stoked. I hate driving in southern California! i got a small backyard hop farm too, Cascade, Nugget, Mt Hood, and a Centennial that will not grow past 4 inches.

I'm in La Mesa as well!

I'll have to go check out that new place in El Cajon. I usually go to HBM as they have a tasting room and a great selection of grains, hops, etc. I've gone to Homebrew4less but I wasn't impressed, he has open bags of grain on the floor. But it is nice that he has DME, hops and yeast and is open very late, everyday.

I'm in La Mesa as well!

I'll have to go check out that new place in El Cajon. I usually go to HBM as they have a tasting room and a great selection of grains, hops, etc. I've gone to Homebrew4less but I wasn't impressed, he has open bags of grain on the floor. But it is nice that he has DME, hops and yeast and is open very late, everyday.

I have been there too, I ditto your comments. there good folks over there in my expierience.

Back