Storing washed yeast in a used beer bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsilicious

Reaction score
Would storing yeast i've saved from a previous fermentation store well in a used, sanitized beer bottle? I assume it would as long as it's cleaned properly. I guess my biggest question would be what to close it off with. I understand sealing it isn't the best idea.

After washing yeast, I'd think that storing them in an airtight container is best. My understanding is that you want to deprive them of oxygen and chill them to make them dormant.

I prefer Ball jars and have had successful starters from them, and I've also used bottles and capped them. I have not made any starters from the beer bottle cultures yet, so I can't say for sure.

Beer bottles would be a cheaper solution since i do not have any mason jars, although it's not like they're incredibly expensive.

Maybe i have a misunderstanding of storing the yeast sealed.

I picked up a dozen half-pint mason jars at walmart over the weekend for under $5...

I'll be making a trip to walmart this evening anyways, so i'll hunt some down. Now do I seal the jars for storage in the fridge?

Yes. Once yeast is washed you really want to keep it sealed and away from any potential nasties. If that small quantity of yeast is exposed to infection, it has much less chance of fighting it off and you could end up pitching an infected starter - eek!

Once you use it for a starter, that's when you're supposed to let it "breathe" - which is why I've read airlocks are bad for starters, yet lots of starter kits come with them for some reason.

Good to know.

I went ahead and ordered a case of mason jars. I'm not a penny pincher so a few extra bucks doesn't hurt. Also ordered a ranco thermostat since my brew froze last night.....

Back