Looking for a 2 pole Contactor, 30A, 120V Coil that is Din rail mountable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsors

Reaction score
I am ready to order some stuff from Automation Direct and was searching their site for a 2 pole, 30 A, 120 V Coil Contactor like Auberins has http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=129 .

Nothing came up. Maybe I am reading the spec's wrong, but all I found were 3 pole and 4 pole.

Everything else I have is Din rail mountable, so I want these to be the same. They are going to be used to shut off the 240 V power to 4500 Amp elements.

Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks

Bill

Bill,
It's going to be tough to find something that large that is din rail mountable.

The 3/4 pole deals you found at automation direct are intended for things like poly phase motor starters. The good news is you can still use them for your purpose, you will just have some contacts that aren't used.

you might be able to find a bracket that you can screw a regular contactor onto to allow it to fit on a DIN rail.

I think I saw some things like that when I was building my system earlier this year.

edit: here's an example... it's awfully expensive, but proof that such things exist: http://www.industrialnetworking.com/Manufacturers/Digi-Accessories/76000682-DIN-Rail-Bracket

edit 2: actually, that may not be what I thought it was. I think that is a backet to HOLD a piece of DIN rail and not a bracket that will allow you to mount someting ONTO a DIN rail.

Seems like it would work, I was just looking for the 30A. If all you need is 25A I would say it would work. Plus its a LOT cheaper.

Looking at this one...http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motor_Controls/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/9_to_25_Amp/SC-E05-110VAC

Amp wise, should work for my 4500 Watt elements easily. Pushing it if I went to 5500 Watts.

To the experts, would this work for me ? Like CodeRage said, I would just have one extra set of poles ?

Thanks

Bill

EFaden, thanks for the input.

Yea huge difference b/n the 25 and 30 amp one. Must be something else different as well, but I don't know enough about them to figure it out.

Here you go. $13.24 DIN mountable, 120v coil, 30a 2 pole. Its DPST but they also have double throw.
Relay-1EJH4_AS01.JPG

Ohio-Ed and Budzu - thanks for replies and suggestions.

I have been looking for the clips that Ohio-Ed suggested.

Thanks again.

SweetSounds, if those 3-Phase DIN contactors are rated for 30 Amps...and will work with 240 V single phase, I would be interested in buying 3 from you.

I haven't purchased anything yet.

Bill

I am ready to order some stuff from Automation Direct and was searching their site for a 2 pole, 30 A, 120 V Coil Contactor like Auberins has http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=129 .

They are going to be used to shut off the 240 V power to 4500 Amp elements.

Can anyone help on this ?Bill

I am using two 5500W and one 3000W heater, and I picked an inexpensive 40A / 50A resistive load 3-pole contactor, like this 120V one for all three, except the ones I'm getting have 24V coils. The 30A/40Ar version is a little less.They just raised the price by $4.01 since I ordered mine five days ago, but it is still a good deal. The 40A contacts are going to last longer than the 30A ones. No DIN rail mounts though.

Edit: The 2-pole 30/40Ar 120V coil contactor is an even better deal. I need the 3-pole because I will also switch neutral to the element, and I want to leave the heater element "dry" when not in operation.

I am using two 5500W and one 3000W heater, and I picked an inexpensive 40A / 50A resistive load 3-pole contactor, like this 120V one for all three, except the ones I'm getting have 24V coils. The 30A/40Ar version is a little less.They just raised the price by $4.01 since I ordered mine five days ago, but it is still a good deal. The 40A contacts are going to last longer than the 30A ones. No DIN rail mounts though.

Edit: The 2-pole 30/40Ar 120V coil contactor is an even better deal. I need the 3-pole because I will also switch neutral to the element, and I want to leave the heater element "dry" when not in operation.

How/why are you switching neutral to the element? Isn't it 2 hots; I know they only have 2 terminals....or did you get a different kind of element?

Your elements don't require a neutral - Just 2 hots.

And you DO NOT want to switch the ground - That should be connected at all times!

Definitely not suggesting that ground be switched :) I guess I'm wondering if switching neutral is a personal choice or required by the specific elements he has. And if it's a personal choice, why is it necessary? The electric potential (voltage) is eliminated if you are breaking the 2 hots.

Guys, sorry about the confusion I caused. Here's the plan: I will have an SPDT relay switching live (L2) or Neutral to one side of the heater element. I will have an SSR that switches L1 to the other side of the element. All this on the load side of the 3-pole contactor, with Neutral on one of the poles. Yes, I could have put the relay on the other side of the contactor and used a 2-pole, but I chose to put it on the load side. That is why I want a 3-pole contactor. The truth is that I didn't think of the alternate placement of the relay at first. Then when I did I still preferred the 3-pole, especially since I had just found this 40A/50A resistive 3P contactor for only $16.16. It has a sort of neat symmetry to it with the SSR and relay on the same side.

I will be posting a schematic soon and it will all become clear as mud. Thank you all for trying to save me from a dumb mistake. There have been plenty of times when that would indeed have been the case.

Wahoo! I just got the contactors this morning. Here's a picture:

These have 24VAC coils. I hooked one up to a DC power supply and gave it 24VDC. It worked, but this bad boy drew over 2A current. I will have to adjust my plans for using DC on these coils and go back to finding a transformer. Other than that, all looks good.

Latest posts

Back