Quick question... ideal brew kettle size for extract brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hey all... i'm getting set up again for some brewing. When I was living overseas I had a hard time finding gear... so just made due with what I could find.

I'm back in Canada now... and can get pretty much anything I want.

I'm shopping for a brew kettle for making some tasty extract brews.

Whats the ideal size in your opinion? The bigger the better?

For stovetop, two to two and a half gallons boiling is fairly typical, so a 12 quart kettle is fairly nice for that.

Bigger is better though. If you can manage full boils reasonably you won't need nearly as many hops for the flavor you want.

get a turkey fryer set up if you can, with a 30 qt pot. Allows for full boils with extract, AND opens the possibility of making a smooth transition into all-grain if you want to down the road.

I use a 15.5 gallon keggle on a turkey fryer burner for extract, partial mash & BIAB all grain brews. So I would second the turkey fryer, and also recommend some weldless fittings to make your life easier.

I started out asking myself the same question.

After reading a bunch on here, and other places decided I wanted to go full boils, even with extract kits. Looking around for Stainless Steel pots of that size was a bit expensive. So I started looking for kegs. I was able to get a keg for free, and a used turkey fryer for only $25. I took all that money I saved and invested in a march pump, silicone hose, brass quick disconnects, thermometers, weldless fittings and a sight glass.

So much for being thrifty...but at least now I can easily transition to AG and do 10 gallon batches. My philosophy is, buy what you need now and for the near future, with hopes of not needing to upgrade.

Good luck!
Jay

I also use a keggle and turkey fryer, add an immersion chiller and a converted cooler and you are ready for all grain if you choose to go that way down the road

Back