If i ferment in a sink, will the fermenting temp be the same as the water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
If i put a fermenting glass carboy in the cellar sink, and fill the sink up with water(so the carboy is always mostly immeresed in water), will the fermenting temperature of the wort be about the same as the temperature of the water in the sink?

the added thermal mass of the water helps protect against temperature fluctuations in the room temp to. If I had a sink/tub to spare I would use that method to.

It also depends on the yeast strain- really aggressive strains like Hefe and Bavarian Wheat strains can raise the temp significantly. When I last made my Rabbit Run Rye with Wyeast 3056, the temp in the carboy was nearly 10 degrees over ambient!

flyangler,

Was that in a water bath or just air?

This was actually in a fermentation cabinet- had to get the temperature controller down to around 50 to have the temp of the carboy hit 62.

The reason I asked is because I believe a water bath is much more effective at pulling that heat out and equalizing better.

You can also use a large plastic tub if you do not have a large enough sink. Adding ice can cool everything down too. Though you will have to keep adding it and watch the temp to maintain a consistent temp. You conversely use an aquarium heater to warm the bath if it is too cold ambient.

One thing to point out additionally is that if you use a plastic tub and it is sitting on a cold concrete basement floor that will lower the temp as well.

I have found comparing the temperature of the water bath to the temp of the fermenter (stick on thermometer) it is usually about 2 degrees difference actually. Likewise with a fermentation chamber. For instance, I have 2 6 gallon carboys of bitter fermenting right now. One is in the chamber (with a heating pad) the other in a water bath with heater. in both cases the carboy is reading 2 points lower that ambient (air in the chamber, water in the bath) when the most active fermentation was going on at the beginning it was opposite.

Back