Rubber garden hose gasket temperature range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
What temperature range can the rubber gaskets used in brass quick disconnect garden hose fittings tolerate?

I've got QDs all over my nearly complete Brutus 10. In most cases, I expect the temperature of water or wort going through the fittings to be no more than 180 to 185, and usually less. But the fittings on the hoses that run between my boil kettle and pump and Therminator will initially be subjected to temperatures much closer to boiling.

Has anyone had any problems with gasket failure in their QDs that are subjected to high temps? Has anyone made their own replacement gaskets from 1/8th inch thick FDA Viton or Silicone sheet, or know what part will fit the garden hose quick disconnects that McMaster Carr sells?

Well, according to the specs at McMaster Carr, if they are SBR Rubber, Buna-N, or Neoprene, they are only rated to 170 F. If Gum, then only 160 F. The ones McMaster sells for garden hoses are SBR Rubber, which are red, but the ones in my QDs are black, so I presume they are Buna-N or Neoprene.

I boiled a couple of different types of hose gaskets and a quick disconnect with embedded gasket for 10 minutes, and they seemed to suffer no ill effects.

What silicone gaskets did you order from MC? What part number, that is?

The QDs that HD and Lowes sold a year or so ago were brass. The ones they have now are rubber coated bodies of unknown composition, along with a male plug that is pure brass-colored plastic. I think the threaded parts may actually be brass. They are cheap. The local small hardware stores sell the same crap.

I also bought Chinese QDs from Harbor Freight. All brass, but they leak terribly. They are just not well made. The US-made QDs I bought from More Beer are decent and usable, but the ones I bought from McMaster Carr were hands down the highest quality. And most expensive. You get what you pay for, I guess.

the new ones at HD/lowes are brass with rubber coating but they now have an anti-backflow plug in the female. (I just punched the backflow device though and tossed it). I didn't order just the gasket from MC wasn't sure they would fit. I ordered the entire 90*coolant hose QD(Bobby_M made a valid point in his "tres keggle"thread)
P/N6739k68 female QD. 6739k59 male plug. I'm not even sure if these are the same as what he used but the do have the red silicone gasket and seem to be quality product. I cant wait to find a good SS welder so the new keggles can be assembled. Everybody thank Bobby for the research he did while making his keggles.

Now that seems like the ticket. Not only do they have silicone gaskets, but they have NPT threads, so you can eliminate a lot of the NPT to garden hose fittings. Downside is they are fairly expensive, but that would be a minor consideration if they are not subject to leaks. Cool.

Latest posts

Back