Bottle sanitization!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemieuxp

Reaction score
Will be bottling my first batch tomorrow... Finally drank enough crafts to have enough bottles. I made the solution that cam in the kit during making the brew and stored it sealed. My guy at my lhms told that that is fine and would last no problem. I was just going to rinse my bottles in the solution prior to bolting tomorrow in six bottle batches. A friend of mine told me I should pre-sanitize my bottles by soaking them overnight in a chlorox solution.... Is this really necessary?

If you rinsed your bottles after enjoying them and storing them in a clean environment, there is no need for bleach. Sanitizing before bottling will be sufficient.

What sanitizer are you using?

flars said:
If you rinsed your bottles after enjoying them and storing them in a clean environment, there is no need for bleach. Sanitizing before bottling will be sufficient. What sanitizer are you using?
not sure... It was part of the brewing kit I bought. What is the consensus on sanitizer?

I've also heard of putting them in your dishwasher, without detergent, on whatever high heat/fast dry setting you have will do the trick. I have always kegged so I have never tried it out myself.

I used to do the dishwasher sanitation technique. After a couple of batches with gushers I switched to spraying starsan into the bottles and the gushers went away.

Your kit probably contained sodium metabisulphite. More of a cleanser than a sanitizer. Mostly used for cleaning wine making equipment.
Starsan is one of the best for brewing. Wetting your bottles one minute before filling completes the sanitation process. Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer and is effective while it is still wet. It can be reused as long as no dirt is put into the solution. As long as the pH is 3.2 or less it is stll good to use.

Revey's Tips: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

My system:
1-Drink store bought beer and rinse after drinking
2-Wait till I have 12 bottles empty
3-Place 12 bottles in 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of OxyClean
4-Leave them there while drinking another 12 bottles and repeat
5-Lables come off in a week or so sometimes faster, but I wait the 12 bottle time whatever that is.
6-Rinse the bottles and store upside down to drain dry
7-Put the bottles in 6 pack holder and place in a covered plactic box. Mine can hold 1 1/2 cases of emptys.
8-On bottling day bring needed bottles to kitchen and soak in StarSan for a few mintues.
9-Stack bottles on the lower rack of dish washer after spraying the heck out of the washer w/StarSan
10-Place bottling bucket on top of dishwasher and fill.
11-Cap w/caps that have been soaked in Star San.
12-Wait 3 weeks and enjoy my latest brew.

No need to pre soak as long as the bottles were clean before. Just sanitize right before bottling. I only soak in chlorox when I'm sort of bottles and dig some out of the recycling bin in town.

It's a ***** having to drink enough beer to have adequate bottles to bottle your homebrew. Been there, constantly arguing I need to do more of it, even though I have 500+ bottles in my pipeline.

Back