Vinal tubing sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prof_Chaos

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about two years now and I think I have my sanitation down, however I am still having a problem with my tubing. After every brew I wash it out with iodophor and let it soak while I wash everything else. Then I let the tubing drip dry and hang it up in my garage. However no matter what I do when I come back to brew a few weeks later the inside of the tubes always has milky spots on them. This happens no matter how long the tubes soak, I have tried everything from 5 min to a final staining hour long soak. These could be from hard water, but I don't think so given there size and distribution. However as I am writing this I am thinking I should check that with distilled water next time.

I am hoping that someone on here can give me some advise on how they clean final tubing, I am really getting sick of buying more every time I brew.

My plastic tubes always discolor and get spots and I don't worry about it. FWIW, I've had one infection in seven years.

After using the tubes, you do not need to wash the tubes in iodophor - it is a santizer, not a cleanser. You use the iodophor or star san immediately before using the tubes to sanitize. After using the tubes, you wash them thoroughly and immediately. I usually do this by either rinsing hot water through them for a while, or by running some water mixed with cleanser like PBW through the tube (I usually use my pump siphon to run the cleanser through the tubing) and then rinse with hot water. With any cleanser, you must rinse thoroughly. But, if I'm cleaning immediately after using the hose, usually hot water will do the trick. Then hang the hose so that ends are pointing down and any water will drip out.

Pappers_ is spot on with the response above.

I also have an air compressor I use to blow most of the water out of the tubing after cleaning, but still get the water spots. I have not had any issues as of yet from the tubing. Just sanitize before use.

Not sure where I read it possibly here.
I use my air compressor to blow a few wadded up pieces of paper towels through the tube. It works great for drying and getting out some crud that is built up in the tube. I use this technique every time now and the tubing looks great.

If you do this make sure you point the opposite end away from you, that wad comes out pretty fast and packs a little sting to it lol

Back