Blackberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebb

Reaction score
If you pick a butt load of blackberries would you run them through your crusher? Put them directly in the press and press the juice off? Thoughts?

If you pick a butt load of blackberries would you run them through your crusher? Put them directly in the press and press the juice off? Thoughts?

No, they don't need to be crushed. I stick mine in the freezer until I have enough, and then just put them in big mesh bags and then ferment on them. When I remove them, after about 5 days, I just squeeze them out. They are pretty soft and there isn't much left of them.

I run mine through a food mill at the same time we make our blackberry jam seems to work just fine, but I have just froze them and tossed them in the bag as well.

Really doesn't make a difference as long as you are using good fruit.

Run them through your crusher, macderate them overnight with pectinase than gently press in a fine bag, if you press to get every drop of juice out you mill get like 50% volume of sludge.When we are doing a lot of berries this is much easier than dealing with them in the primary. WVMJ

Back