Regarding zip ties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSKevin

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler (to mash tun) conversion, and had a quick question. I would like to use zip ties to secure the SS braid (as opposed to the clamp which are apparently a bad idea). I see that some people use these, but I haven't found a lot of info on them. Are these zip ties safe to use in 170 degree water? Are there food grade zip ties anywhere? Any help is appreciated, thanks! :mug:

I bought stainless clamps, but I've heard that many times the clamp itself is stainless, but the screw used to tighten is not. I didn't really want to take the risk

They sell both kinds. One way to check is to stick it in PBW overnight. If the screw looks really tarnished/dull then it's probably just a nickel plated steel screw. If it looks the same as the rest of the clamp you're ok.

I have used zip ties for securing a braid, I believe it to be nylon which is rather inert...you could also use a piece of solid copper wire, that should be easy to find.

Back