Brewing a Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keanex

Reaction score
So I have some grains laying around needing some use and thought I'd throw together this mild. I've never brewed this style before so I would like some feedback.

Milds are great. I often have one on tap. Orfy's recipe is a great place to start:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us-52776/

I make a variation on this recipe fairly regularly(I like Golden promise a little better than MO, love EK Goldings, and use WLP002). It's awesome-the one time I entered it in a comp (a pretty big comp, too) it took first in the English Brown category.
At the moment I have my "American Mild" variation on tap (same grain bill but using a moderate amount of a mix of EKG and citrusy American hops for flavor/aroma/dry; ibu's are about 5pts higher, too). It's damn tasty as well.

It seems his is a bit more Crystal, maybe I should put a little more? I read in an article they recommend around 15% crystal with some coming from medium and some from dark with just a hint of chocolate, that's how I based my recipe.

My keg of mild kicked during Thanksgiving to a loud moan from friends.

I used brew classic style recipe. if you have book you could follow it as a guideline.

Friends left me money to buy and brew tomorrow. on my way to brew store.

It seems his is a bit more Crystal, maybe I should put a little more? I read in an article they recommend around 15% crystal with some coming from medium and some from dark with just a hint of chocolate, that's how I based my recipe.

I'm sure your recipe will be great. I just mentioned Orfy's because it's one that a lot of folks around here have enjoyed.

IMHO the biggest thing in brewing a great mild, since it is so low gravity and has a pretty simple grain bill, is to choose flavorful continental malts.

I brewed the "Reaper's mild recipe and then served it at a Homebrew event 10 days after brew day. Great low ABV beer, great malt flavor and decent body. I used EKG too, nice English hop character.

Mmm... I'm going to pour one now. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. What's a good temp to mash? I was thinking 150-152.

I like to keep a bit more body. I shoot for 155F. I think the Orfy/Reaper mild recipes call for mashing at 158F. The yeast I use doesn't attenuate as well as the Notty that those guys use so it's pretty much a wash as far as FG is concerned.

Gotcha, I'll shoot for 154-156! Thanks guys, I'll report back once I brew it!

Back