Lemon Wine! What are your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbn_brewer

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im toying with an idea of trying to make some cheap carbonated lemonade wine. Do you think this will work?

Batch Size 2.6 Gallons

*Boil water until it is boiling then add the juice of about 13 freshly squeezed lemons and dissolve 3.5 pounds of white sugar in the water.

*Let the mixture cool down to around 27*C then pitch a yeast starter made from bakers yeast (I know im being a cheap bastard but I want to experiment and bakers yeast is easily available).

*Let the liquid ferment in the fermenter until the airlock has stopped bubbling

*Possibly rack to a secondary fermenter

*I then add carbonation drops or bulk prime at a rate of 7g per litre and then bottle and cap.

*Wait for a month... and enjoy!

Would all this be possible? Would I encounter any problems such as the lemons acidity killing the yeast or bottles exploding from using too much sugar?

:) Thanks fellas! :mug:

Hi guys, Im toying with an idea of trying to make some cheap carbonated lemonade wine. Do you think this will work?

Batch Size 2.6 Gallons

*Boil water until it is boiling then add the juice of about 13 freshly squeezed lemons and dissolve 3.5 pounds of white sugar in the water.

*Let the mixture cool down to around 27*C then pitch a yeast starter made from bakers yeast (I know im being a cheap bastard but I want to experiment and bakers yeast is easily available).

*Let the liquid ferment in the fermenter until the airlock has stopped bubbling

*Possibly rack to a secondary fermenter

*I then add carbonation drops or bulk prime at a rate of 7g per litre and then bottle and cap.

*Wait for a month... and enjoy!

Would all this be possible? Would I encounter any problems such as the lemons acidity killing the yeast or bottles exploding from using too much sugar?

:) Thanks fellas! :mug:

A popular lemon drink is skeeterpee, i.e. skeeterpee.com. Your recipe roughly I am trying right now. I have a 6.5 g carboy loaded with about 14 lbs of sweeteners and maybe 5 lbs of lemons. I diced my lemons with the peels on, I don't know how that is going to turn out, but I will find out.

Watch the video "Skeeter Pee - How to make Lemon Wine"

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this recipe before I started making Skeeter Pee:
8 medium-large sized lemons, juice of
2 lbs granulated sugar (or an SG reading of 1.090 to start)
Enough water to bring it to about 1 gallon
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Campden tablet or k-meta (optional)
EC-1118 wine yeast
KEEP THIS FERMENT AT AROUND 75F and dose with nutrient at start and when S.G. has dropped by 1/3 and add 1 tsp yeast energizer at that time. Easy to bottle carb, can even backsweeten with Stevia or Splenda, otherwise you will have a tart bitter hard lemon cider.

Back