Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully corona doesn't mind I had to reuse Some of their bottles. This was my first batch and it came out great.

I made a version of JAOM with added juniper berries and EC 1118 I think it was, I used dried juniper berries, and then I racked onto oak in secondary, it is fantastic. I used about a half a cup of dried juniper berries in a one gallon batch, but I think I would go a whole cup next time.
That sounds good. I may have to make a juniper based mead one of these months.

image-3072473239.jpg

Double black mead - blackberry and black currant currently in the fermenting stage. We shall see how it turns out.

Min Thor's Mjød finally dropped the haze after 1.5 years. Need to take a picture.

My first 2 batches, left is pomegranate, goji berries and vanilla bean, right is rockmelon and pineapple ;)

photo (1).jpg

This is my mead area. Note my complete disregard of the rules, and the fact that I play around with flavors willy-nilly. Sometimes I even come up with a tasty mead! I love playing with breadyeast because its cheap, I only have to wait a few months to get a good idea of the flavors, and I don't have to worry about off-flavors in my hot-as-moose-yayas apartment.

Note also the chalkboard area that my SWMBO painted on the wall to surprise me. When I got home from work she had done a full write-up on the meads I had fermenting and aging. I think I'll keep her! :tank:

That is too cool!!! I think this is the first picture I have seen with ballons as airlocks. I, too, use ballons. Age old family tradition!!!:)

Cliclaste said:
Just transferred my 2gal bucket of strawberry passion tea mead to secondary, looks beautiful, I havn't tasted yet

Update, I did taste it, fairly strong and dry, but a definite strawberry tart flavor, nothing off about it. One of my best tasting meads so far

My second mead bottled yesterday, it's a cranberry pomegranate mead, it's got a definite peptic haze, I started it before I had any enzyme. It's got a great taste, but it's super strong, I mean burn allllll the wayyyyy downnnnn strong. I'm gonna let this sit for a year or so lol. it was a one gallon test batch, so I may open one bottle at six months and see how it is. I have four other test batches and the samples I've tried are way more mellow then this, I'm bottling his sister in a couple days, a one gallon cranberry pomegranate cyser. It's cloudy also, but it's a taste I'm looking for not a look. Happy brewing!

image-2842874320.jpg

The first two are a braggot, a 2 gallon batch, using amber ale malt, chocolate ale malt, some cascade hops, and about 2.5g of honey from a local beekeeper.
When I pour it into a cup it looks like dark maple syrup. Next time I have a glass I'll take another picture for a better colour representation. Oh yeah and the home-made label translates to 'Dwarven Stout'

The last two are a Fruits of the Forest mead. Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and some strawberries.

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

Here is what I have fermenting away:

2 x 1 gallon JAOM started July 1st and July 30th

1 3-gallon batch of JAOM my friend brewed at my house Sunday

5 gallons Nutcastle English Brown Ale from classic brewing styles from sunday

521a43f2f5de11e19f0922000a1e9a7d_7.jpg

Also, 5.5 gallons apfelwein, now removed from water bath

3e591cfcf0b211e1a94522000a1e8aaf_7.jpg

DisturbdChemist said:
My Jalapeno cucumber mead 14.8%. It's awesome when I taste test it. Hope it'll do well in a competition I entered it. It's still young but I like it.

You still need to let try it.

tom_gamer said:
I don't know if I want to try anything that's not in mead terms. Lol

It's mead lol. The main fermentable is honey lol.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

No I haven't lol. What I did is basically steep a whole sliced cucumber and a few sliced jalapenos in hot water for thirty or so minutes. (Minus the seeds) Then remove them and stirred in the honey. Then I basically "dry hop" with chopped fresh jalapeno, no seeds, and cucumber for a week after it was done fermenting. I think I used 3.5 lbs of honey and about 5 total jalapenos and 2 cucumbers but I need to check the notes for a gallon batch.

You taste the sweet pepper with no heat and a mild cucumber flavor that adds refreshing qualities to the mead. The jalapeno is the main flavor but I notice the cucumber.

My dad and brother in law* actually liked it. I didn't back sweetened it and it has a huge jalapeno/cucumber aroma to it. Im going to make a bigger batch of it soon.

Native302 said:
2 year old appfelwein

Appfelwein and cherry vanilla mead, both ready to bottle.

I have the same glass from your post. It says it's for whiskey but I think it's great for beer. Really concentrates the aroma.

Beer_me_plz said:
I have the same glass from your post. It says it's for whiskey but I think it's great for beer. Really concentrates the aroma.

Yes, they are great.

Starting off with the basics at the moment.

2 gallons of JAOM
2 gallons of Joe's Grape Pyment
1 Blackberry JAOM (no orange or clove)
3 gallons of my friends JAOM
5 gallons of english Brown ale

Gonna do a 3 gallon batch of a proper berry mead with real yeast next and possibly a raspberry JAOM.

6f756daaffbb11e19cf61231381321cd_7.jpg

htjdt.jpg

Cinnamon Cyser, using baking yeast. Suprisingly tasty, especially after my first experiment with baking yeast. I doubt even prison inmates would've drinked that! :p

One is fizzy, other is still.

MeadWitch said:
These are the 3 I have chosen to show in the Texas Mead Fest at Rohan Meadery in LaGrange tomorrow. Peach Melba, a Raspberry and a Hibiscus Melomel.

Looks very professional. I'm a huge fan of the frost glass.

I wanted to go to that fest. Good luck.

MeadWitch said:
Thanks Tom! Did you get to go?

I did not. I did a brew with my friend, who also let me know that rohan meadery isn't that far away. We are planning on doing a road trip there and then to Austin, maybe go the jester king and some breweries out there.

that sounds tasty! I really like your gear. What does it taste like? I make mostly melomels and leave the herbs for my beer but this inspires me. thanks

Watermelon Melomel

10 Lbs Clover Honey
2 Lbs Orange Blossom Honey
4 Gallons Spring Water
1 Gallon Juiced Watermelon
EC-1118

10 days initial fermentation
Just racked today into carboy

Really beautiful color and amazing taste incredibly aromatic.
how did your watermelon mead taste? I made one recently and am afraid to taste it. Its been in bottles only a couple of months and at bottling it tasted well... different?

Just racked 10 gallons of a basic traditional into secondaries today. Split it up into about 2.5 gallon batches and racked 3 of the 4 batches onto fruit. In order of appearance in pic: plain (no fruit), pineapple, sapote, strawberry.

SDC12140.jpg

Funk,
What kind of bottles are those? Am I blind, or are those not the standard 750s? Very pretty btw.

Back