Planting along the "woods"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

Reaction score
I'm considering planting some rhizomes in/along the woods and letting Mother Nature take over. Sunlight would be fine, I would water as needed and be using weed trees for support.

Anybody want to talk me off the ledge?

If your weed trees are tall enough to support hop bines, they'll surely be spotted by local authorities.
Seriously though, how will you lower the bines to harvest or check progress?

Should be fine as long the soil is good enough, but I'd stick to very sunny edge of the tree line, like a southern exposure. Oh, and don't forget to account for what the sun will be like when the trees leaf out. You don't want the new hops to wind up in the shade once the leaves are out.

The only real drawback will be harvesting the tangled mess you'll likely wind up with up in the trees. If you're OK with that rock on! :rockin:

I'm considering planting some rhizomes in/along the woods and letting Mother Nature take over. Sunlight would be fine, I would water as needed and be using weed trees for support.

Anybody want to talk me off the ledge?

i think you will fine. I threw some twine up between branches at about 18 feet. This caused a loop and I wrapped the extra twine around a stake that i hammered in the ground. When the hops get taller i will loosen the twine so they will not reach that height. This is an experiment, so will see how it does.

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, they will be on the southern edge of the woods. I will probably do some creative pruning to the trees to make harvest a tad easier but for the most part they will be left alone.

Seems like I am taking the easy way out with some of the pics I have seen but I like simple.

On the one side of my setup there is a mullberry tree hanging over the 1 post the hops found their way up the 13' of jute twine then made a fantastic 4' leap into the mullberry tree. they grew quite a way into the brances. Amaizingly they pulled out of the tree with very little effort.

So i guess the moral of the story is depending on how they hit ur trees you might not have much problem just giving em a yank and have em come down nice and easy.

So i guess the moral of the story is depending on how they hit ur trees you might not have much problem just giving em a yank and have em come down nice and easy.

Ah, good info, thanks. Pruning the supporting trees should help.

Back