Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaumc

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I made a hoegaarden clone, usin black rock whispering wheat, DME, corriander seeds and orange zest.

It was a little too hot when I put the wort into the fermenter, so I left it to cool using ice packs and a belt.

About an hour or two after adding teh wot into the fermenter, I pitched the yeast (Safale K-97) at around 22 deg C.

a week passed and nothing....I forgot to check SG, and the krausen wasnt as massive as ive heard wheat beers are supposed to be.

I warmed it all up and pitched the yeast that came with the extract can, and it started bubbling - thank god!

But now, nearly two weeks later, the bubbling stops, and im constantly having to turn a heater on at it in order to warm it up - plus ive been shirling it around, which gets it bubbling again.

I added finings yesterday, but its still bubbling when i swirl it around.

My question is - with the fluctuations of temperature - and the fact that its taking so long - will the beer be crap?

I tasted it and its OK definately not sour, but still nowhere near drinkable.

what is your current gravity and what was the starting gravity? after 3 weeks and two sachets of yeast, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been done fermenting for a week already.

airlock activity means nothing in terms of 'is it done'. my porter at home is 'done' but if I shake it, the airlock will bubble because i'm outgassing CO2 that's in solution.

so, get the hydrometer out and test it the right way.

Well I was dumb and didnt take an initial reading.

I checked it yesterday and it was about 1.012.

Im havent quite got my head around SG readings yet, but 1.012 is either unfinished or weak beer isnt it?:confused:

what was your original recipe and we can estimate your OG. i'd say you are probably ready to go at 1.012. teh bubbling is just co2 escaping, but your fermentation is more than likely finished, especially with a wheat beer ;)

The final gravity has little to do with ABV. If your hydrometer has ABV markings on it, this is just potential ABV. You need the start & finish to make an estimate.

1.012 is finished for most ales.

Well the original recipe was 1kg dried wheat malt extract, 2 tble spoons orange zest, 15grams ground corriander sseds and the black rock whispering wheat can.

im just about to bottle it, i just need to find another 20 - odd bottles. Looks like ive got some drinking to do!

Latest posts

Back