twist off bottles for bottling with pryoff caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people will tell you that they can not be reused. However, They can if you want to take the slight risks of using them. Depending on the capper that you use, you might run the risk of breaking the bottle necks when capping. The other risk is possibly not making a good seal that will withstand the pressure you will be applying.

I dont think it is worth the risks but that's just me. I am not made of money but a case of new bottles is only like 12 dollars from a brew store. You can buy a case of pry offs at your local beer distributor which is my favorite way to get bottles. The perks of that route is they come pre-filled with beer.

In the beginning I just put the word out to my friends and family to save pry top bottles for me and was "blessed" with a family that does some drinking especially my old man who is always buying different beers. So I ended up with a collection of different color and style bottles really fast.

yeah. that's what i figured. i have about 34 pryoffs right now, a bar up the road saved me some bottles the other day, i picked them up and only got like 6 pryoffs out of about 60 bottles. i'm going back today to get more. i'm bottling hopefully tonight if i come up with more bottles. Irish Stout in secondary for 2 weeks now. no big deal though, can wait another week if needed.

Just buy a six pack here and therfe of pry-offs and you'll have a ton before you know it. That or check your local recycling center.

By doing just those two things I have more bottles than I know what to do with.

Twist offs work fiine with a bench capper. They do not work well with a wing capper.

I have used twist offs by accident a few times and didn't have problem. I usually recycle them if I get one in my collection.

Recycling here in the islands gets a bar 5 cents a bottle or $1.20 a case. I've been giving the m $3 a case for there troubles not to give me twist offs. Only trouble is it's a Mexican bar and I have to pry the damm limes out of about 1/4 of the bottles.

I had 60-70 some twist off smirf-n-off bottles I was going to use. I read once that a hammer press could be used to cap them. But,after reading more cons than pro's,I pitched'em. I since started saving Paulaner & Michelob amber bock bottles. But I did pick up a case of used micro brew bottles from the LHBS for $3/case.

i ended up with almost enough bottles to bottle my batch. i wanted to try something way out. i had about two quarts left to bottle, no bottles. i put the remaining two quarts into mason jars, maybe it'll work, maybe boooom goes the top. worth a try. might be on to something. i put them in a cooler just in case they don't hold. i will let you know. that would be cool if it does, i love drinking from canning jars.

I was just wondering about this myself so I went downstairs and capped a twist off with my winged capper. The capper was almost stuck in the down position around the bottle but the cap held the water I filled the bottle up with when shaking it upside down.

I'm not sure if it would hold the pressure of a carbonated beer though. When I went to twist it off, the cap came off very easily. I'm sure if I would have just bumped the cap on something it would have come off.

it will usually work but if the cap doesn't seal completely then you won't get any carbonation in your bottle. not worth the risk, me thinks

Find a bar and go out back to their dumpster. Had no bottles on bottling day a while ago and got around 75 bottles in about 15 minutes. Just make sure you clean them really well...

i have a ton of bottles now. my first batch is bottled and gone, guys at work loved it and all who had it have been bringing me empties since. i have a batch of brown ale going right now in the fermenter, similar to DFH Indian Brown Ale, i used saaz hops. ABV is gonna finish around 7-7.25%. 5 days in fermenter so far, OG 1.068, down to 1.014 already, still bubbling every minute or so. can't wait to bottle this one.

^^^That sounds tasty. I found a craft brew (I forget which one atm)that used Saaz hops,& wow! I love the spice flavors from that one! I have to come up with a good recipe to showcase Saaz hops now.:mug:

Twist off bottles using pry-off or universal caps so far no issue whatsoever, but I have a bench capper. Friend of mine is in the same boat, no issues so far.

I have found that asking friends is a great way to get bottles, also free cycle since there are generally people in your area having parties. Also I found that Samual Smith has the best bottles ever (they are actually better quality than the ones I buy from the LHBS) but that beer is prohibitively expensive to get a whole case of it. I have found it's good to have about 100 12oz bottles if you are a steady drinker and brewer since I bet on 50 bottles come bottling day +- 5 and having an extra empty set is great. The only problem is storing 50 empty bottles.

Back