Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my brew rig. The propane tank on the rig is only temporary. The next picture is the permanent tank once I run the gas line to the brew house.

Brew rig.jpg

Propane tank.jpg

A little off topic... but I am currently building one of these and I see that some of you have those canister water filters plummed into the system. Are you using those to filter the beer and if so what type of filter system are you using? I am interested in this so I can complete the wort circuit prelim drawings for my brew sculpture.
Thanks,
Chuck

The only filter I know of on the Wort side would be called a Dry Hopper. Basically your filtering your wort through a canister of leaf hops. Only problem with using a water filter for that is the quantity of hops to fill the sucker at $3 /Oz from the LHBS would be insane. But what do I know I'm still working on my brew rig. It's been in my head for 10+ years now and only just starting to put it together.

The only filter I know of on the Wort side would be called a Dry Hopper. Basically your filtering your wort through a canister of leaf hops. Only problem with using a water filter for that is the quantity of hops to fill the sucker at $3 /Oz from the LHBS would be insane. But what do I know I'm still working on my brew rig. It's been in my head for 10+ years now and only just starting to put it together.

Actually your thinking of a hopback.

chuckger said:
A little off topic... but I am currently building one of these and I see that some of you have those canister water filters plummed into the system. Are you using those to filter the beer and if so what type of filter system are you using? I am interested in this so I can complete the wort circuit prelim drawings for my brew sculpture.
Thanks,
Chuck

You could probably use a very coarse filter for wort if you wanted to, but I've never heard of anyone doing that, at least with a filter cartridge. It would probably clog with hop mater/break material pretty quickly. Most would use a bazooka screen, hop taco, etc. inside the kettle.

My new rig. I took it for its maiden voyage this past Sunday. There's some things that still need to be tweaked, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Sure beats the manual setup I had before. Pumps Rule! :rockin:

100_2100.JPG

yep. the 2 on the end are 40 gallon heavy duty from a place in vermont that ships maple syrup in them. The middle one came from eBay. A fella in Cinncinnati sells them delivered for like $225 or so. They were used for orange juice concentrate I think. At least it smelled like it when I opened it up.

Here's my baby after a year of sourcing and building. 2 AG batches down and most of the kinks worked out. First two batches are in the kegs force carbing and taste and look pretty damn good. I've found some great benefits to having the single CFC plumbed for both heating and cooling to be efficient and easy. In order to fil lthe HLT I just open the valves on the cooling lines and fill the HLT from the valve up. It's just as easy to drain that way. I've also been able to cool my wort rather quickly on the house tap water using my rtd temp sensor to monitor the temp. Here's the pics

DSC_0284.JPG

Picture with the vent hood in place
DSC_0279.JPG

A shot of the pumps and heat/cool exchanger. The hose connections are also a great way for flushing the copper coil and filling up kettles for cleaning.
DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG

Picture of the control panel without the cover on
DSC_0300.JPG

My brewers apprentice
DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

As I posted in this thread I felt it only fitting in posting pics of my brew frame, even though it's a work in progress. (Actually it's been more then 10 years in the planning just never got around to finishing it.) My original design was a two teir built out of an old bed frame. The prototype recently went to the land fill as I was cleaning out a bit of my garage (It was also built around a 3x 1/2 barrel keg setup.) The new single teir frame was constructed out of 1x1" square tube and 1.5X2" angle iron.

Early construction:
DSC_2372.jpg

Adding the first burner:
DSC_2374.jpg

DSC_2373.jpg

First brew:
DSC_2442.jpg

I've since added casters to the bottom legs (Peg style with welded in nuts)
I still need to add the sheet metal wind guard around the burners and add an additional burner.

It's a work in progress so the finished frame will be a bit as I'm now working on my Keezer project.

Edit: Huhmm need a bit more post b4 I can link my images sigh!

As I posted in this thread I felt it only fitting in posting pics of my brew frame, even though it's a work in progress. (Actually it's been more then 10 years in the planning just never got around to finishing it.) My original design was a two teir built out of an old bed frame. The prototype recently went to the land fill as I was cleaning out a bit of my garage (It was also built around a 3x 1/2 barrel keg setup.) The new single teir frame was constructed out of 1x1" square tube and 1.5X2" angle iron.

Early construction:
DSC_2372.jpg

Adding the first burner:
DSC_2374.jpg

DSC_2373.jpg

First brew:
DSC_2442.jpg

I've since added casters to the bottom legs (Peg style with welded in nuts)
I still need to add the sheet metal wind guard around the burners and add an additional burner.

It's a work in progress so the finished frame will be a bit as I'm now working on my Keezer project.

Edit: Huhmm need a bit more post b4 I can link my images sigh!

quoted for pics

fixed that for you... you used html code instead of BB code.

looks good!

Yeah thats not a poor boy setup, thats a mans.

edit: ok so i have looked at tons of your rigs, and I have noticed a distinct lack of bottle holders on the rigs. Where do you put your homebrew while you use both hands? This needs to be mended!

Alright...everything looks bada$$ but I have a questions. I'm planning a single tier system using 2 march 809 pumps (very basic) and was wondering how the flow control would be done if fly sparging.

You could probably use a very coarse filter for wort if you wanted to, but I've never heard of anyone doing that, at least with a filter cartridge.

I did try this for a while but it's a pain to get the filter clean after every brew. I was considering going back to this IF I could find a course metal filter that was longer lasting, reusable, and easily sanitized.

Ball Valves

I dont know the lingo but doesnt the pump need to be full of liquid to work properly? I thought you needed to prime the pump before turning it on. This way you are pumping something through it at all times and cutting back the flow by using ball valves wouldnt be ideal.

:confused:

I dont know the lingo but doesnt the pump need to be full of liquid to work properly? I thought you needed to prime the pump before turning it on. This way you are pumping something through it at all times and cutting back the flow by using ball valves wouldnt be ideal.

Why not? Prime pump, control flow with valve on the out put side. I thought this was how all the single tier guys were doing it.

Why not? Prime pump, control flow with valve on the out put side. I thought this was how all the single tier guys were doing it.

Yeah, control flow from the Output side of the pump, not into the pump.

The March beer pump is magnetic drive so it is able to slip the pump impeller and let the motor run at full RPM with ut damaging anything. If you get a direct drive pump them you do not want to use ball valves to regulate flow as you will just burn out the pump motor, but with magnetic drive ti is fine to use ball valves to regulate flow. Hope this helps.

The March beer pump is magnetic drive so it is able to slip the pump impeller and let the motor run at full RPM with ut damaging anything. If you get a direct drive pump them you do not want to use ball valves to regulate flow as you will just burn out the pump motor, but with magnetic drive ti is fine to use ball valves to regulate flow. Hope this helps.

Got it...Thanks!

Ok, so with all these great rigs..I have decided I want to make a RIMS 3 tier gravity fed setup...Any of you guys actually draw these out, or diagram them, and put together a list of parts, cost and where you purchased from...so us idiots out here can put one of these bad boys together?

Thanks
Dan

Just picked up some new stuff the other day, here's a pic of it sparging some Dunkelweizen. (pump not pictured, oops)

newsetup2s.jpg

could it be 11.9 C that would be around 54°. I am thinking that wort goes from the boil pot to a chiller and then the fermenter. towards the end the wort if being aerated as it drops into the fermenter with no steam.In the background the boil pot is still steaming. So I would bet its 11.9 c not 119c

Back