Freezing dandelion flowers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birch

Reaction score
The time will be near soon for dandelion wine, which I've never tried before. Most recipes I see emphasize picking fresh flowers and using them the same day, but I was wondering if I could put them in the freezer after picking so I could make the wine anytime after picking instead of having to do it the same day. Will I loose any flavor by doing this? Would it maybe even help extract more flavor as in freezing fruits?

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't know. Planned on starting a pot of dandelions to harvest the flowers myself, and freeze them until I have enough for a gallon. Just be sure you're pulling flowers from areas that haven't been sprayed with chemicals. You don't want to drink wine spiked with weed killer.

You can definitely freeze the petals. I like to pick off all of the green material, right away while the flower is still open. Then, freeze in ziploc bags until I'm ready to make the wine.

I froze mine a couple weeks back when I made mine. I picked a quart or so a night until I had enough. Seemed to work fine.

Back