Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchwood
Doctor Who

big drop to:

Enterprise
DS9
New BSG
Star Cops
Cowboy BeBop
Babylon 5
TNG
Voyager
Star Wars
Red Dwarf
ST:Original (it was too Laugh-In cute when I saw it as originally released, but it's aged well)
Stargate
Blake's 7
Space 1999
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century

What, no Firefly?? :eek:

DromJohn said:
Torchwood
Doctor Who

big drop to:

Enterprise
DS9
New BSG
Star Cops
Cowboy BeBop
Babylon 5
TNG
Voyager
Star Wars
Red Dwarf
ST:Original (it was too Laugh-In cute when I saw it as originally released, but it's aged well)
Stargate
Blake's 7
Space 1999
Old BSG
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century

There is no way I would put Torchwood in the same class as Dr Who. Leaving Firefly and Farscape off the list completely is unforgivable.

Forgive me anyway, I haven't see Firefly, I thought the movie sequel too derivative to be a good standalone (and I've just streamed the first episode of Buffy last weekend and its two scary for SWMBO; good though) and Farscape. I've also not had Pliny the Elder.

As to the doctors: Eccleson, Pertwee, McCoy, Hartnell, Davison, Tenant, McCann, Smith, Troughton, T.Baker, C. Baker.

Forgive me anyway, I haven't see Firefly, I thought the movie sequel too derivative to be a good standalone (and I've just streamed the first episode of Buffy last weekend and its two scary for SWMBO; good though) and Farscape. I've also not had Pliny the Elder.

As to the doctors: Eccleson, Pertwee, McCoy, Hartnell, Davison, Tenant, McCann, Smith, Troughton, T.Baker, C. Baker.

IMO, you HAVE to watch the [Firefly] series before you watch Serenity. Otherwise, you won't get a lot of it.

Wish they would bring Firefly back.

Firefly was by far the best space fantasy series. If it can make such an impact in only 6 episodes, imagine what a few seasons would have done.

Firefly was by far the best space fantasy series. If it can make such an impact in only 6 episodes, imagine what a few seasons would have done.

I'd have to say that Firefly and BSG are the top two series to be on tv over the past decade (or more). Firefly is just as good now as when it aired originally. If you haven't checked out the BSG Blood and Chrome webisodes, you should. You can now watch the entire thing through (without waiting for the next pair to be released)... Frakin great stuff. :D

I may date myself, but has anyone mentioned Space 1999? A fantastic series from the mid-seventies starring Martin Landau and the lovely Barbara Bain.

Oops - I see it's been mentioned. Never mind.

There was a Star Trek movie marathon on SyFy over the weekend. I'm not ashamed to say I watched a good number of them all day Saturday. When watching the movies starring the next gen folks, I couldn't help but feel like they were just longer episodes of the show, and not necessarily great cinematic achievements. Not that I didn't enjoy them, but they weren't very captivating. Which is why I'm glad they're rebooting the movie franchise.

I also have come to the conclusion that Patrick Stewart had the best voice ever.

I was so against the new star trek... but it was awesome. All I can say is Into the Darkness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and
Kahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhn!

Disney is going to have to really step it up to save star wars from the lucas debacle but I have faith.

Old school star wars trumps star trek (though it was good)
New school star trek is bringing the thrashin'

Hey you know what was pointed out to me recently was that when Return of the Jedi was ending, and the medals were getting passed around, Chewie never got one. What's up with that? He put his ass on the line like everyone else! Discuss.

At least there's less gay robots in SW... In Star Trek, there's just one robot, and he's just sooooo gay. :eek: At least in Star Wars the robots are not trying to be more human... What a waste of CPU cycles THAT is. :D

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks C3PO is better than data has clearly been drinking too much. That's like saying jar jar is better than Warf because he never was obsessed with honor. The desire to become more human was a great sci fi plot to examine the human condition which is what good sci fi should always do.

Hey you know what was pointed out to me recently was that when Return of the Jedi was ending, and the medals were getting passed around, Chewie never got one. What's up with that? He put his ass on the line like everyone else! Discuss.

I you will recall, Chewie was rescued form being slave. Giving him a medal would be too much like 'reparations'. Sorry, Chewie, but the leaders of the resistance can't make up for what the Empire did to you.

My kids were introduced to Star Wars IV over the holiday break (girls 5 and 9). They've already watched everything but III. We'll probably watch that one soon with a couple of skip chapters near the end. They are friggin hooked. My 9 year old keeps asking when will we watch the last one.

Star Trek all the way. If star wars was so great they would have had multiple TV shows and more movies. Granted Star Wars is good but its Star Trek that gets this nerds vote.

starwars-vs-startrek.jpg

Chewie would throw Data to the ground like a broken little Barbie doll.

Maybe you missed the part in first contact were Data chucked a Borg like a it was a paper cup. Chewbacca is my favorite star wars character but Im pretty sure Data would own him

They do have shields, they had to knock out the shield generator in return of the jedi

Wasn't that the death star? It showed the X wings and tie fighter crashing into the star destroyers and damaging them. No shields I think

Wasn't that the death star? It showed the X wings and tie fighter crashing into the star destroyers and damaging them. No shields I think

They have shields, but they're electro-magnetic shields to repel laser fire. A physical ship goes right through.

Also, the geodesic domes on top of star destroyers are the shield generators...knock those out then fire away

/nerd

clinesmith said:
Maybe you missed the part in first contact were Data chucked a Borg like a it was a paper cup. Chewbacca is my favorite star wars character but Im pretty sure Data would own him

Yeah you're probably right. Especially since inside the Chewbacca suit you actually have this.

image-349810763.jpg

Ha ha, I'm loving this thread. Data would definitely hulk out and destroy Chewy, but I'd rather have a beer with Chewy. And beam a photon torpedo onto their bridge...hilarious. Wow, could you imagine a Borg assimilated Darth Vader? The hive mind coupled with the power of the force? Excellent.

Back