Whirlfloc at same time as last hop addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beestin

Reaction score
I am going to be using a whirlfloc tablet for the first time - i see per the other posts that using 1/2 a tab at 5min left is recommended by the Whirlfloc people. My kit shows that my last hop addition is at 5min left in the boil. Can i toss both at once? I'm afraid it would just take down my last hop addition w/ the rest of the sediment. Please advise!

I'm making the Lakefront Fixed Gear Red Ale extact kit from Northern Brewer. 2nd brew ever.

Just toss the whole tab in at 15 minutes. I've been doing that for years and I've yet to have a cloudy beer!! Also been tossing in with hops . It won't effect hops, just coagulates proteins.

I usually add my whirlfloc at 10 minutes left. The whirlfloc helps the larger proteins coagulate together, I don't think it'll affect the hop addition. So you should be fine either way.

Just toss it in. The hop addition won't effect it. I always do 1/2 a tab at 5 minutes. Works just as well as when I did a whole tab at 10 or 5 minutes.

Sounds good. I'll just toss them at the same time -

If you see the previous forums with info from the actual whirlfloc people, they note to not add any more than 10 min before end of boil or it loses some of its effectiveness and that more than 1/2 a tab per 5 gallons isn't any more effective so @DonMagee 1/2 tab at 5 min is dead on it seems. Even midwest supplies notes this:

Use one tablet per 10 gallon batch (For 5 gallon batches, cut a tablet in half. Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job

Thanks!

Sounds good. I'll just toss them at the same time -

If you see the previous forums with info from the actual whirlfloc people, they note to not add any more than 10 min before end of boil or it loses some of its effectiveness and that more than 1/2 a tab per 5 gallons isn't any more effective so @DonMagee 1/2 tab at 5 min is dead on it seems. Even midwest supplies notes this:

Use one tablet per 10 gallon batch (For 5 gallon batches, cut a tablet in half. Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job

Thanks!

And my Brewcraft whirlflock package says to add 1 tablet for 5 gallons about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

I dont think it really matters.

Honestly thats what ive done for every brew and ive never had an issue.

The only thing ive changed recently is smashing the tablet up in some til foil and pouring the powder in rather than just tossing the tablet in.
You can see an immediate protein break doing this, you'll have a boil over if your not careful.

I remember reading that most people selling whirlfloc are putting the wrong instructions on their packaging and that the company that actually makes the product recommends 5 grams per hectoliter (2 tablets to about 25 gallons).

So unless homebrew supply companies are now getting smaller tablets (which is possible) then we are wasting product by using a whole tab for 5 gallons.

Back