Recipe Critique - Dry Hopped Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhondorp

Reaction score
So its that time of year when a good refresher needs to be available :). I thought a nice wheat with some citrusy tones (I don't want to use any rinds or peels) would be nice.

I would love a critique, particularly of the Crystal 120 for color (will that work?) and of dry hopping with an ounce of both cascade and amarillo (will that be overpowering and disrupt the delicate flavors of a wheat beer?).

Thanks in advance!

I BIAB so its double crushed grains.
5 gallon batch
6 gallon boil

4Lbs 2 Row (38.3%)
4.5lbs Belgian Wheat (43.1%)
10oz Munich (6.0%)
8oz Melanodin (4.8%)
4oz Torrified Wheat (2.4%)
0.5oz Crystal 120 (.03%) - Its leftover and I want a light hazy orange color

1oz Hallertauer First Wort Hopping (30 mins)
1oz Hallertauer 60 mins
0.5oz Cascade 0 mins
0.5oz Amarillo 0 mins
0.5oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 Days
0.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7 Days

Mash BIAB at 152 for 80 Minutes
Mashout at 170 for 10 Minutes

Pitch with 1/2 Gallon Starter of Wyeast 1010 - American Wheat
Beersmith SRM ~5.9
Beersmith ABV ~6.2
Beersmith IBU ~27.1 (Tinseth)
Beersmith OG 1.060
Beersmith FG 1.013

Edit: Alright cut the Saaz and adjusted hopping schedule. What do you guys think?

I've been playing with dry hopped American summer wheats myself lately.

I did one that was all Citra and one with galaxy. Both dry hopped with an ounce for 7 days. Both were in the 28-30 IBU range before dry hopping.

Both are fantastic, easy drinking beers on a hot day. I think the light dry hopping balanced really well with the delicate wheat flavors. 2 oz. of dry hopping, might be too much, worth a try though.

That recipe looks great, but the Saaz and Amarillo MIGHT clash a bit. I did that same recipe (except instead of 120L I used some caramunich, 1 lb) and used all Amarillo. One of the best beers I ever made!

I love Saaz and Amarillo...and Casade for that matter but I am not sure about mixing nobles and American citrus hops in something that light...

I'm using an oz. of Cascade to dry hop an Oberon Clone I'm making so we'll see how that turns out. I was debating between 1 and 2 oz. but I decided to err on the side of caution...

I would exchange Saaz for more hallertauer or some other less grassy hop. Possibly cascade or amarillo. I like saaz but I don't think it works well with the other hops you chose.

The C120 is fine. I don't think you have enough to make much of a difference. You'll get the color you need from the munich but the C120 might help give the beer a touch of malty sweetness to balance with the hops.

Back