ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 220VAC unit. The transformer in mine is the BV302S10013-JY-A model, but the relays are the 12A and 15A models that are in the 110VAC unit shown by Wayne. Strange.

Anyway, I'd be up for sending my controller to someone to have the transformer swapped out. I already ordered a 110VAC controller from uni_mart, but I can use a 2nd one anyway.

If we get enough brewers to make it worth while send me your address and I'll ship it off to you.

Thanks,
e

With shipping that breaks down to roughly $5.50 each, to Colorado. I am willing to order five transformers. I can install them in the circuit boards and ship them back. Shipping to and from CO will entail at least another $10.00 for USPS small package flat rate boxes.

So is it worth it for a minimum of $15.50 to get the transformer changed to work on 110V AC?

Or, are there five people in CO who have these units and want them changed to 110?

I wouldn't need you to install it for me but if you place an order let me know. I will paypal you to send me one in a padded envelope usps.

Help please!

I am not sure where I screwed up, but the only parts of my system that work are the temp sensors (which I'm currently calibrating with ice water) and the fridge compressor. I've checked the ciruit for the lamp (heater) with a basic circuit tester and have nothing. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!!!

wiring1.jpg

if this works I need 2 of them so i would get in on an order too if someone wants to order them and re-ship.

I'll let this run for a couple of days. Please PM me if you want me to order the 110 volt transformer for you. If there is enough interest, perhaps the shipping to me will be reduced.

I can install them on your circuit board for you, for a nominal fee. If you feel you can so this, then I will just ship the transformers to you. USPS Priority Flat Rate Small shipping box works best for me. Cost is $5.20 anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Any other shipping package or method will take more of my time and would be charged extra. I am not doing this to make any money. Just to help out some folks who ordered the wrong part.

rudu81 said:
Help please!

I am not sure where I screwed up, but the only parts of my system that work are the temp sensors (which I'm currently calibrating with ice water) and the fridge compressor. I've checked the ciruit for the lamp (heater) with a basic circuit tester and have nothing. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!!!

You have it wired incorrectly.

You need to tie all the neutrals together. They do NOT go through the switch. Then you need to splice the hot wire, and run it to the input, as well as one side of each relay. Then, wire each hot from the heating/cooling appliance to the other side of the relay.

It would probably be easiest to see the original wiring diagram, I think it's in the first post.

You have it wired incorrectly.

You need to tie all the neutrals together. They do NOT go through the switch. Then you need to splice the hot wire, and run it to the input, as well as one side of each relay. Then, wire each hot from the heating/cooling appliance to the other side of the relay.

It would probably be easiest to see the original wiring diagram, I think it's in the first post.

Wow, am I stupid. Either that or I had a massive brain fart.

Before I go and screw this up again, is this diagram correct? Thanks!!

wiring21.jpg

No

Go back to the diagram on the first post in the thread.

5&6 are for heat,

7&8 are for cool.

You still show heat and compressor coming off 8

Edit: And you need a blue line going to #2

rudu81 said:

Don't worry, I did the same thing. The original schematic is correct. No need to make a new one

Third time the charm?

I really do appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!!!!! :mug:

Yes, I think so. A bit curious about what your doing with two controllers like this. The way it is wired in your last diagram you will have on the first controller a set up such that when temp falls below a set point a heater will come on and when when the temp goes above the cooling set point a fan will come on. On the other side, when the temp goes above the cooling set point the compressor will come on and when the temp falls below the heating set point a fan will come on. Guess I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish?

hello, wanted to say tons of thanks! (I skipped all the threads in between)
I followed the first setup and my fridge is running smoothly. I bought a cheap plastic container from WMart $5. Also hacked an extension cord because my fridge is far from an outlet. My probe is inside a water bottle in the fridge.
If I were to do it again, I would have relocated the display on the side of the box because it is sitting on top of my fridge and it would be easier to read.
Also I would hack a power strip and installed also so that the box would also provide normal power not related to the thermo.

power.jpg

Yes, I think so. A bit curious about what your doing with two controllers like this. The way it is wired in your last diagram you will have on the first controller a set up such that when temp falls below a set point a heater will come on and when when the temp goes above the cooling set point a fan will come on. On the other side, when the temp goes above the cooling set point the compressor will come on and when the temp falls below the heating set point a fan will come on. Guess I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish?

Your summary is correct. It's for a side-by-side that is in my garage. The outside temp here goes from below freezing to maybe somewhere in the 90s F, so I wanted to be able to control each side for both cooling and heating. If you want to see the build so far, I have this thread

rudu81 said:
Your summary is correct. It's for a side-by-side that is in my garage. The outside temp here goes from below freezing to maybe somewhere in the 90s F, so I wanted to be able to control each side for both cooling and heating. If you want to see the build so far, I have this thread

Looks good to me, I'm doing the same thing with my dual zone, 25 square foot ferm chamber. Will be able to have 20 gallons fermenting at once as soon as the second controller arrives.

Are there many people interested in getting in on a group buy for the 110v transformers?

Are there many people interested in getting in on a group buy for the 110v transformers?

You mean the controller this thread is about? Or has there been discussion about a transformer that I have missed? I can't believe how this thread has taken off.

Anyway, if you are talking about the controller. Would there be a price that would make the controller and shipping cost effective? If so I'd be in for a couple.

The transformer he is refering to is from purchasing the 220v version. To make it work with 110v you need to replace the 220v transformer with a 110v version. No need to replace the transformer if you have one that works on 110v.

If you are talking about the one this thread is talking about. I would be in for one

This thread is about a temp controller, not a transformer. The transformer they are talking about is the 110 transformer to put inside the 220 controller that a lot of us bought by mistake. If that's what you're looking for pm Wayne1, he was going to put together the order for the replacement transformers.

FWIW, I have ordered the transformers.

These are for people who have mistakenly ordered 220 v versions instead of the 110 v controller.

The transformers should arrive in about a week. I will post here when they do. Hopefully ere109 will be able to get together with me and I can replace the transformer in his unit and then he can report how it works.

I currently have commitments for 3) of the transformers.

I'll start putting together a box so my unit should be ready to test as soon as we get the transformer in.

Wayne1: Thanks for doing this. Please PM me when you have them and give me an address to send my controller to. I already have it in a project box and it works - other than powering the freezer. Do you want me to send you the whole thing so you can see if it works, or just the controller?

Best,
e

Wired up one of these for a keezer tonight (have to actually install it into the keezer still, but did all the wiring and testing) and it worked great. Wanted to thank everyone who posted pics, diagrams, and info - I couldn't have done it without your help.

Wayne1: Thanks for doing this. Please PM me when you have them and give me an address to send my controller to. I already have it in a project box and it works - other than powering the freezer. Do you want me to send you the whole thing so you can see if it works, or just the controller?

Best,
e

I'm out of town until Tuesday. You can send the entire project box out and I can check the operation after swapping the transformer.

I'll PM you the shipping information.

Wayne

Just wanted to show the finished job. I bought two temp controllers, so I have any extra one. Has anyone thought of using one of these to use for mashing and controlling a pump? And maybe some how controlling a burner. Any ideas?

Any one try this yet with a brutus? Dont see why u wouldnt b able to use controller for mashing. any thoughts

Many thanks to android and everyone else who posted the helpful information in this thread! I just finished mine yesterday and tested it ... everything seems to be working perfectly.

FWIW, I bought my controller from uni_mart, and it arrived 9 days after I purchased it ... 2x4x6 project box from RS ... everything else from Lowes ... black outlet ... 15A appliance cord ... grommets for both cable openings (I used knots inside the grommets instead of cable clamps) ... 14AWG stranded wire for making the internal connections (I tinned the ends). I already had the wire nuts.

This is for a keezer, so I'm only using the cooling side.

Less than $45 in it, even with the heavy-duty cord, and before subtracting left over materials (extra wire, grommets, etc.). Thanks again, everyone!

I've returned and found five transformers. They look exactly like the one in my 120 v controller. I do have a couple of people send me controllers to replace the transformers. When they arrive, I'll try to take some pictures of the operation and test results.

I was thinking about getting another one or two of these controllers, and saw this -
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Price=14..30%40c&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=0&LH_FS=1&_nkw=temperature%20controller&_dlg=1&_ds=1&_fln=1&_fsct=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283#http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-110-120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-F-/150606638066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310daebf2&vil=1

It looks like pretty much the same controller but with the readout in farenheit instead of celcius. Specs appear to be the same, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I buy. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about getting another one or two of these controllers, and saw this -
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Price=14..30%40c&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=0&LH_FS=1&_nkw=temperature%20controller&_dlg=1&_ds=1&_fln=1&_fsct=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283#http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-110-120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-F-/150606638066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310daebf2&vil=1

It looks like pretty much the same controller but with the readout in farenheit instead of celcius. Specs appear to be the same, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I buy. Any thoughts?

Nope, looks different. There seems to be only once controlled output (I am guessing it is heat since it is marketed as an aquarium heater controller but might be able to be change in the software) and the relay is only rated at 5 amps, that might be pushing it with the startup current of the compressor motor.
If it was me I would avoid it.

After looking closer I think you might be right about it only being single stage. As far as the relay rating isn't 10A @ 220V the same as 5A @ 110V?

After looking closer I think you might be right about it only being single stage. As far as the relay rating isn't 10A @ 220V the same as 5A @ 110V?

Not really the rating is how much it can take, a 10A @ 220V would be "beefier" than a 5A @ 110V as it can handle more power going through it.
The other thing that has no info on it is the 2 connections (5&6?) for the function control, no idea what that is.

Well I just got mine in the mail and its a model ETC-200+ of course not the one I orderd. Has anybody gotten this one and succesfully wired it up?

Well I just got mine in the mail and its a model ETC-200+ of course not the one I orderd. Has anybody gotten this one and succesfully wired it up?

Looking at the instructions this unit can only do one function at a time either heating or cooling. If you only need to run one type you are set, if you are using it for somthing like a fermentation chamber where it needs to switch between heating and cooling it woulnt work from what i am reading. That said it has alot of functions that could come in handy for a keezer like a auto defrost cycle.

Followed this thread for my build; works like a freaking' charm!
Now, I'll finally have fermentation temperature control that doesn't involve carrying the carboy around the house looking for the right temp.
Thanks for all the great info and build variations; home brewers rock! :mug:

I had ordered two of these (controllers in original post) with the intention of using one for my keezer build (up next); until I found these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turn-Fre...60372777342?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item2556f6617e

This seemed like a better option, for the keezer build, it’ about the same price as one building up a temp control box. The dude is super responsive; he even has freezer to wine fridge thermostat replacements, 2 C to 15 C. Wait, don't go bashing me for this saying the W word, I mention it because I like the extended upper temperature range for my English style ales (usual house ales).

Again, thanks for all the great info! If you haven’t built one of these (and you know you need one), order one or two of these controllers, they arrive in about 9 days (mine did) and get building!
They’re slicker than snot on a doorknob. :ban:

I ordered one from uni_mart, got it in 10 days and it works like a charm, heating and cooling. I've used to to control both my fermentation temps and my HERMS during mashing. Couldn't be happier.

Back