Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleHoudini

Reaction score
Am I the only one thats sort of put off by a really clear beer? theres a discussion in the all grain forums right now about sierra nevada torpedo and while I am a fan(got a sixer in the fridge right now), i cant help but be disappointed by how crystal clear it is. I get this painful feeling in my soul that tells me this delicious brew could be even better if they just didnt f**k with it so much.

am i alone in this? drinking a sierra nevada hefe right now btw. delicious and more cloudy than the morality of a catholic priest

it doesn't bother me, but if its one of those things where it's not necessarily 'supposed' to be clear, then it makes you wonder why exactly it is.

I like clear beers. No magic to it. I don't filter or anything, but most of my beers get crystal clear after some aging. I'd much rather drink a clear homebrew than a cloudy one (unless it's supposed to be cloudy like a hefeweizen).

To me, clarity is a good thing. If you can produce a super clear beer, it means you have a good process. Unless it's a wheat or a bottle conditioned beer, I don't want it cloudy. Even bottle conditioned beers should be clear after a little while in the bottle. Whenever I see a cloudy homebrew, it makes me think the person isn't taking enough time to condition.

I'm confused as well. Commercial beer hasn't been hazy since I've been on the planet with a few style exceptions so would anybody be put off by clear beer? I recently discovered that cold conditioning my brew in the fridge for a week or more removes all chill haze. Prior to that I would just chill what I planned on drinking a day or two in advance and they were always hazy. I love my new crystal clear brew.

I like clear beers. No magic to it. I don't filter or anything, but most of my beers get crystal clear after some aging. I'd much rather drink a clear homebrew than a cloudy one (unless it's supposed to be cloudy like a hefeweizen).

Yeah, me too. I want my beers CLEAR. Like, read a newspaper through it clear. Now, if it has a hops haze, it's ok and I won't reject the beer, but overall I want my beers clear.

To me, a clear beer is a well made beer. I don't drink wheat beers, so I expect a clear beer.

maybe its just how i was introduced to beer that isnt just bud light or coors light. first thing i had that was even remotely interesting was blue moon then fat tire and 1554 shortly thereafter. I guess now when I pour a torpedo and its so clear it just makes me think of those flavorless light beers that i grew up around.

i guess shooting for a clear brew is just something ill have to get used to

I like clear beer. Most of my beers settle out crystal clear - I use moss, gelatin for ale, and also polyclar 10 for pils.

I like the not so clear beer, Because it tastes better, all that stuff you filter and fine out of the beer is flavor elements.

That's my personal opinion.

Cloudy yeast suspension and polyphenol haze detract from the flavor and stability of the beer. Too much suspended yeast can contribute to gout.

Back