Reached top of trellis, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiGladys

Reaction score
My first year hops plants have all reached the top of the trellis. Should I just let the main bines continue to grow (they are reaching for the sky about a foot above the top of line), or should I cut the tip off to try to encourage sidearm development?
I am just trying to get as bushy of a plant as possible to build a strong root system. I am not concerned too much with cone production this year.

Just leave them alone. The tip will eventually curl down. Gravity has that way with them.

IUf you truly are not concerned about cones this year then don;t worry about them. Just check them every day/every other day for pests and water them regularly.

My first year plants also have also met the top of my twine, all at 12+ feet, but I would like to get some type of harvest this year. Should I just leave them grow on their own or do I need to do some trimming??

My first year Cascade hops are about to reach the top of my 15ft trellis. But my Fuggles and Nugget are till struggling at 5ft. I too am hoping for a small harvest this year but I'm not going to hold my breathe right now.

My first year Cascade hops are about to reach the top of my 15ft trellis. But my Fuggles and Nugget are till struggling at 5ft. I too am hoping for a small harvest this year but I'm not going to hold my breathe right now.

I would not compare different types of hops as different types grow at different rates and produce different yields.

I have 4 2nd year hops that are 22' tall and I cut down when they were about 8' tall and let them regrow.
I have 14 1st year hops. The tallest is about 20' tall, the shortest is about 6".
Some take off, some don't. The one's that don't will be a stronger plant next year. Patient.

My first year plants also have also met the top of my twine, all at 12+ feet, but I would like to get some type of harvest this year. Should I just leave them grow on their own or do I need to do some trimming??

Leave them alone.

Back