Help! Brewing stout and didn't purchase enough malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgerald

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brewing a stout. The recipe called for 3.75 lbs dry malt extract (along with some grains and liquid extract). However, I only bought 3 lbs. Now, everything is fermenting. I really don't want to skimp on this beer, so I was considering adding the last .75 lb of malt in two days when the Brew Shop is open. The beer will have been fermenting for two days total. Would this work?

I'd suggest boiling the DME up with a bit of water and then letting it cool for a bit.
This will ensure it's sterile and it will mix into your fermenting wort better.

Beyond that you should be fine, especially given that it's only been fermenting for a couple of days.

I agree with the Pappers. Leave it go. You'd just be adding a couple of gravity points, and to me it's not worth the risk of adding some nasties with it.

Just change your notes to reflect the actual recipe you brewed.

B

Thanks for the input. Pappers, I did not obtain the O.G. as my hydrometer is broken. I'm making an Old Rasputin clone and I weep to think of one with insufficient malt. But, like you said, there's some definite risk in adding DME during fermentation.

Thanks for the input. Pappers, I did not obtain the O.G. as my hydrometer is broken. I'm making an Old Rasputin clone and I weep to think of one with insufficient malt. But, like you said, there's some definite risk in adding DME during fermentation.

Bump to oswiu; get the DME, boil it in some water for 15 minutes, cover and let cool to room temp, add to primary. If I was making an Old Rasputin clone, I would not want it to be lacking and I would do the same thing (though, I would have probably rushed out and bought the DME the second I realized I had forgotten it).

As a rough guide you raise your final ABV by 1% for every pound of dry fermentables. is .75% really worth it?

As a rough guide you raise your final ABV by 1% for every pound of dry fermentables. is .75% really worth it?

Totally. It's not about the percent, its about the balance. I wouldn't want an unbalanced Russian Imperial Stout.

Back