Born again Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
I am so excited that I had to post. I just finished rebuilding my keggerator. I took the drip pan hose and routed it inside the fridge into a new little bucket instead of it being on the outside. Then I removed the plastic shelf that the kegs sat on and replaced with a wire one. All new hosing and such neatly routed. With the new shelf I can now fit 4 kegs in there. Looks like I might be adding a stout tap on the door, you know, just because I can.......WHHOOOHOOO. I have also placed orders for the forward sealing faucets and a new stout tap. I have uploaded some new pics my gallery. Thanks for reading my excitement. Now I am off to my LHBS to get some more stuff to brew. One question that I have is how many of you are carbonating stouts with N2? I was thinking about getting another tank just for the N2.

I'm rebuilding/adding features to mine too. The first package arrived yesterday with beer and gas line, a handful of seals for the extra kegs, and another drip tray. By Friday I should have new SS shanks and three forward-seal faucets to replace the standard ones that gum up after a week. The big upgrade will be two gas splitters with valves so I can run two pressure zones with flare fittings on each to easily hook up my Beer Gun without having to disconnect something first. God, I love gadgets... :D

I'm putting a stout faucet on my birthday wish list, so I'm in the same boat for info on nitro.

Masterful job.

I currently have a 4 tap fridge that can be seen in my gallery.
I have been using a Beer Gas setup for stouts in conjunction with a Murphey's jockey box I got on e-Bay.

I have been swapping out a standard tap with the stout one as needed, but I have room for a 5th corny so I might devote a 5th tap.

In many parts of the country you can only get beer gas in a special tank and regulator. That's the way mine came.

In PHX, however, if you fill at Phoenix Welding supply (specifically Dye Carbonic) they use the standard CO2 tank and regulator. Unfortunately, I have to drop off and pick up and cannot swap out that tank. Definately keep that in mind.

I currently have Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale on the Nitro.

If you need specifics about my setup and Nitro, PM me.

My next project is to hook up two secondary regs to the system. One on the outside of the fridge for Beergun and other transport duties and one on the inside for Soda carbonation.

New kegger project starts once I get the stir plate working properly. Old kegger becomes the fermentation cabinet. Maybe one of these days I'll stop with the gadgets & make beer. On the other hand, I like making gadgets.

The gripping hand, I only have three kegs that aren't in use and all of the fermenters are filthy.

Ive got one of these for my kegerator

dd94.jpg

and got 2 crappy Danbys' i coverted to dual taps and use for fermentation.

The beverage air kegerator is awesome!!!!!

Ollllo - I have just a general question about nitro. I know you're supposed to carbonate with straight CO2. From that point on can you dispense the entire keg with nitro or do you have to "recharge" it with CO2 every so often?

I'm just wondering what effect the nitro has on the CO2 in the beer. It takes me about a month to drain a keg or more if I have two or three in the fridge.

Capt. Awesomest said:
Ive got one of these for my kegerator

dd94.jpg

and got 2 crappy Danbys' i coverted to dual taps and use for fermentation.

The beverage air kegerator is awesome!!!!!

I was looking at that when I was buying beer line today. Such a sweet setup but pricey

There are 2 schools of thought on carbing before serving on beer gas mix. One way is to lighly carbonate with CO2 and then serve with the beer gas mix, the other is to nitrogenize you beer with a diffusion stone and then serve with the beer gas mix.

Details here.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/nitro system.pdf

If you choose to force carb, you shouldn't have to "recharge". The presence of the beer gas mix should hold the CO2 that you have in suspension provided that the temperature and pressure is constant.

If you desire a Guinness style beer you need to have the right bodied beer, a stout tap with the restrictor plate and a high pressure (30+ psi) beer gas mix.

You can serve any beer on a beer gas mix and a regular tap if you please, (won't really be any different... (see this post in this thread ) but because beer gas tends to be more expensive, I wouldn't do this exclusively.

olllllo said:
There are 2 schools of thought on carbing before serving on beer gas mix. One way is to lighly carbonate with CO2 and then serve with the beer gas mix, the other is to nitrogenize you beer with a diffusion stone and then serve with the beer gas mix.

Details here.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/nitro%20system.pdf

If you choose to force carb, you shouldn't have to "recharge". The presence of the beer gas mix should hold the CO2 that you have in suspension provided that the temperature and pressure is constant.

If you desire a Guinness style beer you need to have the right bodied beer, a stout tap with the restrictor plate and a high pressure (30+ psi) beer gas mix.

You can serve any beer on a beer gas mix and a regular tap if you please, (won't really be any different... (see this post in this thread ) but because beer gas tends to be more expensive, I wouldn't do this exclusively.

I was always the impression that guiness used the diffusion stone. Hence the bottles with the nitro cartridge inside. But what do I know...:confused:

Back