How the heck are ya from Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDunno19

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm not only new to this site but new to beer in general. Began my obsession this summer and so far (according to ratebeer.com) have tried almost half of the top 50 beers available in my area and am currently enjoying an Ommegang Abbey Ale. I'm researching how to brew beer because not only does it sound like a lot of fun, but what a great chance to make beer and tailor it specifically to my taste! Look forward to that journey as soon as it starts.

Welcome to the party. There are two homebrew stores in the Des Moines area, one is in Valley Junction and is not that great, but there is another store in West Des Moines that I just heard about called "Go Beer Crazy". Never been there because I had never heard of it before last week, but apparently they also have a large and exotic beer selection.

Otherwise the best place I have found to get homebrew supplies are midwestbrewsupply.com in Minnesota. They answer emails quickly if you have any questions.

Welcome! Beer Crazy in Urbandale is where I first bought my supplies (back when I knew zero) and the guy working was not very helpful for a beginner. New brewers is how his business will survive so he should embrace the new brewer!! Since then I have bought online from Midwest and have read a lot of threads on this website. There is also a good video podcast on itunes call "Basic Brewing" by James Spencer which are helpful and entertaining.

I live in the iowa City area, and this website is great! It has helped me alot, with problems and some great ideas. Where do you live? There is a very nice brewing store in Dubuque also. The man that runs it has great prices, and is very helpful.

Hello, just saw this thread. I'm living in Muscatine, IA. Any homebrew stores on our side of the state other than cedar falls?

I've had great luck with Beer Crazy in Urbandale. I live in Ames and went there because I was in Des Moines. The clerk was very friendly and I was even offered some homebrew. The clerk even picked out the ingredients for my brew after I decided upon a recipe (they have recipe books there). Excellent selection and service. Will be going back. Beats waiting a week and paying shipping from Midwest.

Back