Quick Question about adding Honey...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
Tonight I am gonna brew a AHS Texas Bock kit...

I am doing the mini-mash version of the kit and just wanted to confirm at what point i would add 2 lbs of honey, so to make a Texas Honey Bock...

I am assuming I should just add the honey when I add the malt extract, it this correct?

The few times that I used honey I added it with the extract right after the water came to a boil.

I have read lately that you could add it late in the boil with maybe 10 or 15 minutes left to reduce scorching and carmelization.

so basically i can add it anywhere from the beginning of the boil to 15 mins left in the boil. later in the boil might help prevent scorching or carmelization, that kinda makes sense...

You can add the honey like Malt, or you can even wait until well into the fermentation to add it. The timing can have a big impact on the character that it imparts.
BYO has a good article on it here.

I have used it quite a bit in my Irish Honey Red (signature) had have made these observations.

For a bock style, you will probably want to boil it for a bit as you will probably want a more subdued honey flavor.

Cheers,

actually you want to add it as late as possible. Boiling honey takes away most all of it's aroma and a lot of flavor as well. If you boil honey for 60mins then let the yeast go at it, the only difference you'll notice in a beer with honey is a higher ABV and it'll be slightly drier.

I add my honey to the primary after pitching and fermentation has started. Some people are scared to do that (no clue why - nothing can grow in honey), so they add it at like 2mins or flameout.

You can add the honey like Malt, or you can even wait until well into the fermentation to add it. The timing can have a big impact on the character that it imparts.
BYO has a good article on it here.

I have used it quite a bit in my Irish Honey Red (signature) had have made these observations.

For a bock style, you will probably want to boil it for a bit as you will probably want a more subdued honey flavor.

Cheers,

hey thanks for the links, i scanned over them, but will read them in more detail when time permits... i'm at work right now :mad:

actually you want to add it as late as possible. Boiling honey takes away most all of it's aroma and a lot of flavor as well. If you boil honey for 60mins then let the yeast go at it, the only difference you'll notice in a beer with honey is a higher ABV and it'll be slightly drier.

I add my honey to the primary after pitching and fermentation has started. Some people are scared to do that (no clue why - nothing can grow in honey), so they add it at like 2mins or flameout.

thanks for the reply...

i think adding it late in the boil sounds good, or even possibly to my primary... i would like to have some of the honey flavor, but just a tad bit...

the kit i'm starting with has very low OG anyway, so the added honey should boost my ABV and add a slight flavoring...

i would like to have some of the honey flavor, but just a tad bit...

the kit i'm starting with has very low OG anyway, so the added honey should boost my ABV and add a slight flavoring...

2 lbs of honey added to the ferment of a low OG - low hop beer will yield something along the lines of a braggot (mead with malt). This is how much I put into my Honey Red, and it is fairly high OG and IBU.

Back