What a mess....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
So, bottled my first real batch of cider last night! What a mess!! Cider turned out good and with some bottle conditioning, I think it will be very good, but between my first time filling bottles, capping, sanitizing, and everything else.....geesh! I had cider and sanitizer on cupboards, floors, and walls!!!

If you have not read Revvys thread on bottling here it is. It will make your next experience much more tolerable. If you have a dishwasher, I would suggest putting your bottling bucket and wand on the counter over the open dishwasher and filling. When finished close that mother up and the mess is gone.

So, bottled my first real batch of cider last night! What a mess!! Cider turned out good and with some bottle conditioning, I think it will be very good, but between my first time filling bottles, capping, sanitizing, and everything else.....geesh! I had cider and sanitizer on cupboards, floors, and walls!!!

Lol yeah brewing is messy business.

Get yourself a bottle tree, sulfiter, auto siphon and bottle filler. And full your bottles in a Rubbermaid bin.

I put the bottling bucket on the counter and have a large flat bottom Tupperware container I fill the bottles on the floor with a spring loaded wand.

If you have a dishwasher, I would suggest putting your bottling bucket and wand on the counter over the open dishwasher and filling. When finished close that mother up and the mess is gone.

+100 to this!!!

I run my bottles through the Sanitize cycle on the dishwasher...so they are already in the washer. I fill on the folded down door and set them up on the counter.

I sit on a little stool and it looks like I'm milking the dishwasher ;) moo!

Man.... Now I wish I would have asked for tips before bottling! Live and learn!

Here I am before I started kegging.

7518_1099023806380_2619126_n.jpg

I also picked up a tip from the guy who runs my LHBS, I leave the bottling bucket on the counter with the spigot sticking over the side, but instead of using the entire hose I only use about 1 1/2 inches to join the bottling wand to the spigot and fill the bottles by pushing up on them with bottling wand inside them. This way I can fill bottles one handed and use other hand to grab the next bottle or move the just filled one to the counter...not sure if that made sense, but here's to hoping it did

WannabeBeerNerd said:
I also picked up a tip from the guy who runs my LHBS, I leave the bottling bucket on the counter with the spigot sticking over the side, but instead of using the entire hose I only use about 1 1/2 inches to join the bottling wand to the spigot and fill the bottles by pushing up on them with bottling wand inside them. This way I can fill bottles one handed and use other hand to grab the next bottle or move the just filled one to the counter...not sure if that made sense, but here's to hoping it did

That's exactly what i do as well. Along with the dishwasher trick. Makes things go just a slight bit smoother. MUCH less mess!

Can't wait till I'm able to keg...

Back