Ok, I need to settle this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
Do the Germans prefer to drink warm beer? I don't know how many times I hear it from people. Do they tend to drink it warmer than Americans and BMC? I have guys telling me they Germans are drinking like 70-80 degree beer. Please tell me this is yet another misconception propagated by ignorant people. If it isn't. Well you learn something new everyday.:tank:

Some styles of beer, notably English browns and milds, are served warmer. German pilsners and lagers are typically served at 38 to 45 F. Not warm at all.

We drink BMC at such low temperatures to shock the taste buds so we don't have to actually taste it. Their beer doesn't need the tastes masked. Their beer is not warm neither is it in the 80s. Cellar temps are in the 50's and low 60s. For those used to a frozen tongue, 50-60s sounds warm.

What do you prefer? That's what counts. ;)

Slightly off topic, but a friend of mine's dad loved his Coronas warm. He would get a sixer, and let them set out in the sun all day before he would drink them.

Man, that had to be disgusting. Clear bottles in the middle of a Tennessee summer......Yeah, that had to be putrid.

I don't like "cold" beer (unless it is BMC). Now, not saying 70-80 degrees either. But, I usually pour a beer and let it sit for 15 minutes before drinking it. Or, just pull it out of my basement (56-58 degrees). I would say upper 40's- upper 50's is where I most enjoy my beers. Flavors are just smoother and well-rounded I think.

So the Germans don't as a rule drink warm beer? I have had several old duffers tell me that while they were stationed in Germany warm beer is what was preferred. I guess since it wasn't ice cold they considered it warm.

So the Germans don't as a rule drink warm beer? I have had several old duffers tell me that while they were stationed in Germany warm beer is what was preferred. I guess since it wasn't ice cold they considered it warm.

"Warm" as defined by what temperature?

When I was in Western China beer was warm compared to the typical US standards. When I asked for cold beer they send the lowest ranking guy on a mission to collect the refrigerated beer from all the shops on the street just for me. We'd end up with maybe 6 bottles of what I'd call cold beer.

I spent a week in Germany for work last winter. I drank a fair amount of beer and none of it was anywhere near 70-80. It certainly was not ice cold like the BMC beer is served at a crappy bar here in the US. It was more like how beer is served at a good brewhouse here in the states. More like 45ish. I did not notice any difference by style but it was only a 5 day trip so not a ton of data points to go on.

So I am thinking there is a misconception here in the states about the Germans and their serving temps. I wonder how it started? Of course these guys i was talking about are of the sort that will tell you the beer at the bottom of a barrel is stronger than at the top. I should have realized at that point they were completely clueless.:drunk:

I've enjoyed beer in both German taverns and Scottish pubs; never once was I served a warm beer - the most warm was a mid 50ish degree bitter in Scotland. My old man, who was stationed in Germany, has said on multiple occasions that beer in Germany is served at BODY temperature - when I tell him that it means that the beer is nearly 100 degrees, he quickly restates room temperature (not cellar temperature).

My feeling from hearing this so many times is that it's essentially an urban legend that's come from folks either misunderstanding or misstating (i.e. body temp) something with which they don't necessarily have a lot of experience. Subsequently, people who hear these things "learn" misinformation and then propagate it by citing the faulty source.

I spent a week in Germany for work last winter. I drank a fair amount of beer and none of it was anywhere near 70-80. It certainly was not ice cold like the BMC beer is served at a crappy bar here in the US. It was more like how beer is served at a good brewhouse here in the states. More like 45ish. I did not notice any difference by style but it was only a 5 day trip so not a ton of data points to go on.
so they serve BMC at warmer temps in great bars in the US? hahahaa!

My own experience with Germany: the monasteries serve at cellar temperature (probably mid 50s°F), the biergartens serve everything not-quite-BMC-cold, and the brewhauses serve all over the place depending on style.

My favorite experiences were always at the monasteries. Those dudes can brew! And they serve full liters! Woof! Screamin' down the 'bahn at well over 200 clicks after hoisting three of those and you're definitely a menace to society...

Cheers!

I spent a fair amount of time in Germany while I was stationed in Spain. I even got to go to Oktoberfest in Munich one year. The beer was not icy but not hot either. Like others have said it was in the 40ish range. I have also been to England and Ireland. The beer there is not served "warm" either, just warmer than what we are used to seeing pulled from handles here in our country. I think some bars here serve beer way too cold. I was in Boise recently and while Brewer's Haven is awesome the local pubs were serving porters in iced glasses and at temps around 35 degrees!

Don't forget that while they are drinking their warm beer, that they are brewing Bock beer by using the dregs from the bottom of their lagering barrels.

Then there Germans are crazy man....:drunk:

Back