Favorite Pub to hang at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
all right. i live 1.5 hrs from the nearest tap house (www.gingermanpub.com), and will drive over there just to sit out on the picnic tables under the Young's or Paulaner umbrellas, and sip a pint of Saint Arnold cask IPA or Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye Ale......am i the only one goofy enough to do that? :cool:

It is a brewpub. It is called Sanora Brewery. I have also traveled to Flagstaff (about 2.5 hour drive) so that I could go and have some brews at the brewhouse up there. I cannot remember the name of it though.

The closest brewpubs for me are 30 minutes away, but I've gone as far as 3 hours to visit a new place. I generally go to Golden Valley, which is one of the close ones or Pelican out on the coast.

I've got some good places in the 15-30 minutes range. I have places 3-5 hrs away that I hit, but only when I'm in the area. I am trying to schedule a trip a couple hours down east to hit Duck-Rabbit brewery and the holy shrine of eastern NC bbq (and hence all bbq :cool:), Pete Jones' Skylight Inn.

I have a couple good regulars that are about 5 min from my home. However, I love to take a roadtrip for a good brew:D

O'tooles North Pond House-Hopkinton, MA (taphouse/pub 10 minutes)
John Stones Inn and Publick House-Ashland, MA (taphouse/pub 30 minutes)
John Harvard's Brewery-Natick, MA (Micro-brewery/restaurant 30 minutes)

There are also a number of other brew houses around, and more than that in Boston-these are just the ones that I tend to frequent

anthrobe said:
It is a brewpub. It is called Sanora Brewery. I have also traveled to Flagstaff (about 2.5 hour drive) so that I could go and have some brews at the brewhouse up there. I cannot remember the name of it though.
i see add's in the Southwest Brewing News all the time for Sonora Brewery. i think they even had an article about Ure (?) in the last issue i picked up?

DeRoux's Broux said:
i see add's in the Southwest Brewing News all the time for Sonora Brewery. i think they even had an article about Ure (?) in the last issue i picked up?
That's Uwe. Just in case anyone is interested in a Sonora Brewhouse Brewer’s Den Update:
Uwe said that he should be brewing roughly the 2nd week of January and the tentative date for the grand opening of Brewer’s Den will be approximately 3 weeks after. An email or flyer will be sent out to the club once we have a firm date.

anthrobe said:
No at all. I will drive 45 mins to North Phoenix just to hang out on the patio for a good brew.

You must be on the other side of South Mountain to be that far from Camelback Road?

Wild

We don't have crap for pubs around here. If we want a brew pub or an ale house, we drive to Richmond which is an hour away.

I'm REALLY looking forward to moving soon. :D

I don't have a Pub close by but what I do like to do is go to the Salt Lick BBQ (about 15 miles southwest of Austin) and sit outside on the picnic tables. It's BYOB ..so I do. I guess you could say I bring my own Pub with me. :DOn the weekends they have live music. It's been awhile since I've been out there mainly because my wife doesn't drink and got tired of it.

Sudster said:
I don't have a Pub close by but what I do like to do is go to the Salt Lick BBQ (about 15 miles southwest of Austin) and sit outside on the picnic tables. It's BYOB ..so I do. I guess you could say I bring my own Pub with me. :DOn the weekends they have live music. It's been awhile since I've been out there mainly because my wife doesn't drink and got tired of it.

BYOB? For real? Now THAT is a cool freaking idea. Can I come too? :D

Sudster said:
I'm lucky enough to frequent a cigar shop that bends the rules a bit to allow some of their constituents to BYOB. Big leather chairs, fabulous cigars, excellent homebrew, and a game on a big screen plasma or just good conversation.

anthrobe said:
I would have to say that Four Peaks Brewery is by far my favorite. All their beers are excellent as well as the atmosphere.
It is a nice place but unfortunately too far for me to frequent.

Wild

BYOB is pretty common at restaurants in western NC since dry counties aren't uncommon :( Back when I was kayaking we used to head back to NC from the Ocoee in TN, cross the stateline a few hundred yards to a break in the median where we could hook a u-turn back to TN and a beer store on the westbound side of the hwy. We'd pick up beer and head west a few hundred yards to another break in the median where we'd hook another u-turn back to NC and a bbq joint that was BYOB. We were dizzy before we started drinking.

Hit my local taproom (Edenton St Brewery) last night and lucked into an impromptu bluegrass session that has started on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month...cool!

BeeGee said:
BYOB is pretty common at restaurants in western NC since dry counties aren't uncommon :( Back when I was kayaking we used to head back to NC from the Ocoee in TN, cross the stateline a few hundred yards to a break in the median where we could hook a u-turn back to TN and a beer store on the westbound side of the hwy. We'd pick up beer and head west a few hundred yards to another break in the median where we'd hook another u-turn back to NC and a bbq joint that was BYOB. We were dizzy before we started drinking.

Hit my local taproom (Edenton St Brewery) last night and lucked into an impromptu bluegrass session that has started on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month...cool!

sounds like us when we go to the lake up in East Texas :D ! (minus the bluegrass damn it!:mad: )

DeRoux's Broux said:
... am i the only one goofy enough to do that?

No, you’re not the only goofy one here! What makes you say that? ;)

When it comes to good beer pubs, I’ll drive 45 mins. into Chicago and hassle with parking to go to The Map Room. I’ll also drive 45 mins. to go to my favorite brewpub in the area, Flossmoor Station. And as if that weren’t bad enough, once a year I make a nearly three hour drive to Madison, Wisconsin to go to one of the best brewpubs in the Midwest, The Great Dane.

Rhoobarb said:
No, you’re not the only goofy one here! What makes you say that? ;)

When it comes to good beer pubs, I’ll drive 45 mins. into Chicago and hassle with parking to go to The Map Room. I’ll also drive 45 mins. to go to my favorite brewpub in the area, Flossmoor Station. And as if that weren’t bad enough, once a year I make a nearly three hour drive to Madison, Wisconsin to go to one of the best brewpubs in the Midwest, The Great Dane.

some in my family just don't understand! :D

i've seen Flossmoor Station on food network. looks like a cool place!:cool:

i'm just making sure i'm not the only one...:D

DeRoux! A buddy lived in NYC and a favourite alltime bar for me is the Ginger Man there! At the foot of the Empire State building. Good times and great tap selection.

loopmd said:
http://http://www.upstreambrewing.com/

This is where you might find me on the weekend. When the fish aren't biting, of course.

loop

OMG I HATE YOU, DUDE!!!!!!!!!

When I lived in Omaha I went there all the time. Loved thier beers. Too bad the place is pretty expensive, IMHO. If you go just to drink the beer and sit at the bar and BS, yeah.....

Upstream...miss the place.... :(

hoppy said:
DeRoux! A buddy lived in NYC and a favourite alltime bar for me is the Ginger Man there! At the foot of the Empire State building. Good times and great tap selection.

really? i knew there was one there and didn't know where (never looked on their web page). if i woulda known that, i'da hit it after the Empire State building.:cool:

it is a good tap house. good atmosphere too !

Dude said:

When I lived in Omaha I went there all the time. Loved thier beers. Too bad the place is pretty expensive, IMHO. If you go just to drink the beer and sit at the bar and BS, yeah.....

Did you ever try that Firehouse ESB. Man , that sounds gooood!

DeRoux's Broux said:
oh man, the Salt Lick......you had to go a bring up BBQ didn't you Sudster!

awesome place!
It's a real laid back atmosphere...and I just like the feel of the place..rustic. The BBQ is OK but I don't think its award winning. They were featured on the FOOD channel not too long ago and got high praise for the BBQ. I want to try a place in Luling that EL P. suggested. Said the BBQ is real good.

Dude said:

Love it there. SWMBO and I will raise a Firehouse ESB in your honor this weekend. They also have a new place out west of town, but nothing like hanging out in the Old Market.

loop

loopmd said:
Love it there. SWMBO and I will raise a Firehouse ESB in your honor this weekend. They also have a new place out west of town, but nothing like hanging out in the Old Market.

loop

Yeah, Crescent City or something like that? Is it over by Creighton? Never been there but I've heard about it.

This summer we'll be visiting some friends in Omaha--I'm sure a trip to the Old Market is in order. We'll hit Upstream and the Dubliner for sure. :D

Moose's Tooth, in my hometown (Anchorage, AK). Darwin's Theory is a pretty nice place to hang out, too.

In Houston, I guess Two Rows.

Sudster said:
It's a real laid back atmosphere...and I just like the feel of the place..rustic. The BBQ is OK but I don't think its award winning. They were featured on the FOOD channel not too long ago and got high praise for the BBQ. I want to try a place in Luling that EL P. suggested. Said the BBQ is real good.

have you been to Cooper's in Llano? nothing but good! also a place in Blanco that's good BBQ.

DeRoux's Broux said:
have you been to Cooper's in Llano? nothing but good! also a place in Blanco that's good BBQ.
Nope, haven't been there either. I guess I need to get out more. Thanks for the info.

anthrobe said:
I live in south phoenix It takes 45 min to get through the traffic most of the time:D
Any brew pubs in Tempe? Me and the wife will be heading that way in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can get together for a few brews with you and your significant other.:D

I only have to make it to Blythe that night. By my calculation that's only about 2-2.5 hours from Tempe. I want to do Joshua Tree the next morning be fore heading to LA.

homebrewer_99 said:
Any brew pubs in Tempe? Me and the wife will be heading that way in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can get together for a few brews with you and your significant other.:D

I only have to make it to Blythe that night. By my calculation that's only about 2-2.5 hours from Tempe. I want to do Joshua Tree the next morning be fore heading to LA.
Here's what Tempe has to offer:

Four Peaks Brewing Company
1340 East 8th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281

Gordon Biersch
420 South Mill Ave, #201
Tempe, AZ 85281

Papago Brewing
7107 East McDowell Road
Scottsdale, Arizona 85257 (Right on the north outskirts of Tempe)

Rio Salado Brewing Company (One of my favorites)
1520 W. Mineral Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85283-4343

Streets of New York
19. 1470 E. Southern
(Brewery Location)
West of McClintock Dr.
480-777-9600

Enjoy,
Wild

Latest posts

Back