Please critique my Black EIPA Citra recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
Please review my Black EIPA Citra recipe

Inspiration: Port Jeff Brewing: Low tide black ipa
According to their website:
Malts: Pilsen, Maris Otter, Black Patent
Hops: Citra
Statistics: 24.2 SRM/62 IBU/7.2% ABV

My goals for the brew:
Balanced EIPA , Citra forward smell and an orange taste, I am looking for a LIGHT chocolate/roast background as well, I added some carapils for head retention.

They have pilsen in the recipe my guess is to offset the biscuit flavor of the maris otter. I do not have the pilsen in my recipe. If you think i should add some please let me know.

I have been brewing for a while but it is my first hack at a recipe so thanks for the advice!

Recipe Type: All grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1945 Neobrittania, 2nd generation
Yeast Starter: washed yeast from previous batch about a week old
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.2
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.020(Seems high in beer smith but I will be using Mr Malty to figure out pitch)
IBU: 73.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 26.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3-4 Weeks @ 66 F
Secondary Fermentation: None
Tasting Notes:

81.5% - 11.0lbs. Maris Otter
7.4% - 1.00 lbs. Carapils
7.4% - 1.00 Lbs. Caramel/crystal malt 60L (looking for a light caramel taste)
5% -0.5 Lbs Black Patent( 10 minute addition in mash)
???? Maybe add some pilsen

Boil 60 mins 1.50 oz. Centennial pellet 10%
Boil 10 mins 1.00 oz. Citra pellet 12%
Boil 5 mins 1.00 oz. Citra pellet 12%
Dry hop 8 days 1.00 oz. Citra pellet 12.00%

Use rice hulls to avoid stuck sparge. To get a darker beer without effecting the flavor as much, you can also use a little maltofirm in the primary.

Other than that, looks great.

So am I on track or way off? This is my first all grain recipe that I have made.

It's a high gravity, but should be good. I would personally do 5.5 lbs. MO and 5.5 lbs. Pilsen (the Low Tide has a 60/40 MO/Pils not counting any other grain). And 2 lbs. Crystal. I may even use chocolate malt full mash for dark flavor. 4 oz? Your choice. But keep black patent. I REALLY like the idea of 10 min mash for that, because that stuff can get bitter. Are you batch sparging? How many gallons of water does it call for?

I updated the recipe by adding some german pilsner(no pilsen at the store I use). I added the black patent for 10 minutes to reach the 28.7 SRM and not astringency. I am still debating adding the chocolate malt. If I add the chocolate it might push it a little too much into the porter realm. Do you think the black patent will add enough roast/ chocolaty notes? I am not looking for a strong taste just a light background note. It is at 7.2 % so I hope I don't get a stuck sparge I might lower the grain bill to avoid it.

I attached my beer smith print out which has the steps for my batch sparge.

Looking forward to brewing this!

Black EIPA.jpg

So I got some advice to use carafa 2 special instead of black patent. Does anybody have experience using this? Do you recommend I use carafa instead of black patent. Thanks!

Back