Keg issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbk

Reaction score
Recently bought a bunch of corny kegs. Was planning on kegging some centennial blonde today, but noticed an issue when getting the keg ready.
It looks like someone took their mig to the weld seam. It's not a very clean weld and I am worried about nasties hiding in the weld. Any advice on what to do?
Can I take caulking (or something like it) to smooth over the weld to keep junk from taking root, if it hasn't taken hold already? Or do I count this as a loss?
Thanks

image-2500879507.jpg

If it were me (it could be, I've never checked any of my 10 kegs that closely), I'd make sure to clean and sanitize it very well, put my beer in it, and drink it. My first thought is that the alcohol in the beer is probably high enough to defend most things that weld might hold (I could be wrong). My other thought is that it may be fine, regardless. How do you know if you never try, eh?

I have seen re welds on a lot of kegs. They were in service a long time and got repaired and re welded. It's usually ground smooth, but I don't see a ton of slag around the weld, it should be fine.

I went ahead and cleaned the keg and filled it up. Will see how this goes....
Thanks for the advice/comments.

Latest posts

Back