Brewing in Montréal / French

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjiefx

Reaction score
A couple of guys who come on this forum are from Montréal or near. And these folks surely speak/write french. So I tought we could start a thread to write about brewing in Mtl. In french or english... as you wish!

My first question will be in french: here it goes...

Donc, ma première question pour vous est: Où achetez vous vos ingrédients et équipements???

Pour ma part, j'ai commencé à acheter mes trucs à la cachette du bootlegger à Baie-D'Urfé. Ils ont leur propre gamme d'extraits pré-houblonné. Et j'ai eu de très bons résultats avec mes 2 premières batch. Par la suite, j'ai été à l'atelier Bière et vin sur le chemin chambly à mtl et j'y ai acheté des concentrés en can. Les résultats sont vraiment moins bons que ceux de la cachette. Je retournerai donc aux extraits maison pour mes prochaines batch... Si je ne passe pas aux recettes et a l'ajout de houblon moi-même...

Ok, so, if you don't understand a thing I just wrote and really want to contribute to this thread, just ask and I'll translate!

Cheers!

J-F!

Babelfish says:

Therefore, my first question for you is: Where buy your ingredients and equipment???

For my part, I started to buy my tricks with the hiding-place of the bootlegger with Bay-In Urfé. They have their own range of extracts pre-hopped. And I had very good results with my the first 2 batch. Thereafter, I was with the Bière workshop and wine on the way chambly with mtl and I bought concentrates in edge there. The results are really worse than those of the hiding-place. I will thus turn over to the extracts house for my next batch... If I do not pass to the receipts and has the hop addition myself...

Moi j'vais à l'atelier bière et vin puisque c'est a environ 5-10 minutes de chez moi. La première bière que j'ai fait était la Pilsener qui est encore dans le bouteille (prêt le 19 octobre). Je vais possiblement passé aux extraits de malt en canne ou en sac (LME/DME) par contre, je ne crois pas que l'atelier biere et vin offre de mettre en poudre les extraits en grain qu'ils vendent... Il faut louer la machine pour le faire chez soi... Alors je suis vraiment intéressé à savoir où est cette endroit dont tu parles avec les extraits maison.

Le patron de l'atelier biere et bin est plus ou moins chaleureux et quand je lui ait parler de la recette "Apfelwein", il semblait très douteux, alors qu'il y a des centaines de personnes sur ce forum qui en font.

Sinon, mon cidre de pomme est fait à partir de jus "Allen's" fait par Lassonde acheté au Super C (21.42 pour 17x1.36L = 23L). J'ai simplement ajouter 1.1 kg (2.4 lbs) de dextrose et de la levure Lalvin EC-1118. Ma densité au départ était de 1.060. Je devrais rendre disponible un fichier Excel bientôt par rapport au cidre, qui permet de suivre la progression de son cidre très facilement.

Comme vous voyez dans ma signature, je planifie faire une bière du temps des fêtes épicé à la noix de muscade, gingembre, cacao, cassonade et clous de giroufle. Les quantités et le style de bière reste à déterminer par contre.

Mod Edit:
Moi j'vais the workshop beer and wine as it is about 5-10 minutes from my home. The first beer I made was the Pilsener, which is still in the bottle (loan Oct. 19). I will possibly past with malt extract cane or bag (LME / DME) on the other hand, I do not believe that the workshop offers beer and wine to powder extracted from the grain they sell ... We must praise the machine to do it at home ... So I am really interested in finding out where is this place that you speak with excerpts home.

The operator of the workshop and beer bin is more or less warm and when I was talking about the recipe "Apfelwein", it seemed very doubtful, while there are hundreds of people on this board who do.

Otherwise, my apple cider is made from the juice "Allen's" Lassonde purchased by the Super C (21.42 for 17x1.36L = 23L). I simply add 1.1 kg (2.4 lbs) of dextrose and yeast Lalvin EC-1118. My density on departure was 1,060. I should make available an Excel file soon compared to cider, which tracks the progress of his cider very easily.

As you can see in my signature, I plan to make a beer holiday season spiced with nutmeg, ginger, cocoa, sugar and nails giroufle. The quantity and the style of beer remains to be seen however.

Good, On a pas mal le même cheminement. Moi aussi j'ai fait la recette de apfelwein, qui est très bien sorti avec la même levure que tu utilises! Penses-tu le carboniser?

Pour ce qui est du magasin où je vais c'est à Baie-D'urfée dans l'ouest de montréal. Voici leur adresse internet http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca/
Tu vas pouvoir voir leur sélection d'extraits maison, la gamme s'appelle Superbatch. Ça donne vraiment des bons résultats.

J'aimerais bien faire des recettes que l'on retrouve sur Internet ou sur ce forum. Mais, je ne sais pas trop par où commencer. J'aimerais bien me faire une double chocolate oatmeal stout pour l'hiver. Après ma Newcastle (prévue dans quelques semaines) c'est surement ce que j'essaierai de brasser.

Cheers, J-F!

Mod Edit:
Good, On a pas mal le même cheminement. Moi aussi j'ai fait la recette de apfelwein, qui est très bien sorti avec la même levure que tu utilises! Penses-tu le carboniser?

Pour ce qui est du magasin où je vais c'est à Baie-D'urfée dans l'ouest de montréal. Voici leur adresse internet http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca/
Tu vas pouvoir voir leur sélection d'extraits maison, la gamme s'appelle Superbatch. Ça donne vraiment des bons résultats.

J'aimerais bien faire des recettes que l'on retrouve sur Internet ou sur ce forum. Mais, je ne sais pas trop par où commencer. J'aimerais bien me faire une double chocolate oatmeal stout pour l'hiver. Après ma Newcastle (prévue dans quelques semaines) c'est surement ce que j'essaierai de brasser.

Yuri_Rage said:
Babelfish says:

Therefore, my first question for you is: Where buy your ingredients and equipment???

For my part, I started to buy my tricks with the hiding-place of the bootlegger with Bay-In Urfé. They have their own range of extracts pre-hopped. And I had very good results with my the first 2 batch. Thereafter, I was with the Bière workshop and wine on the way chambly with mtl and I bought concentrates in edge there. The results are really worse than those of the hiding-place. I will thus turn over to the extracts house for my next batch... If I do not pass to the receipts and has the hop addition myself...

It's not that bad of a translation. Could be better but, the general idea of the text is there!

xjiefx said:

Cheers, J-F!

I used the same yeast in my Apfelwein too! Sorry for the English, but I'm not completely fluent in French and can't make accents anyways, so this is easier. I got the yeast at La Choppe a Barrack because it was the only champagne yeast they had. It has been fermenting since Novermber 30th; I haven't touched it yet. I'll probably bottle it when I get back in Montreal this weekend.

How did yours turn out?

orfy said:
Agreed but threads should not exlcude others.
My previous comments were intended as a joke...yours are just plain...wrong. Orfy, you know I love you as a brewing Brother, but I just have to diasagree with you.

There is nothing wrong or improper about excluding some people in conversations. This happens to me everytime someone talks about fishing. I PURPOSELY REMOVE MYSELF from any conversation on fishing because I don't fish. I don't eat fish. I have no interest in fish. If you and your mates started talking about something I had no interest in I would tune you out too. However, that does not give me the right to make people change their conversation because I don't like the subject matter. Not everyone has the same interests or educational skills as the other guy/gal. Should all conversations on this forum talking about cars, sporting events, concerts, etc. stop? No, is the answer.

As far as "exclusion" goes...I've yet to read about anyone mentioning we've excluded others when we type in German. Besides, there has to be SOME French brewing terms around here somewhere.

What's the English translation of "saison"? If we used the translation instead the whole point of the subject would be lost. Same goes for numerous terms...kreusening, lautern, etc.

Would you feel offended if any mods or members complained about you using the terms "fries" instead "chips" or "wrench" instead of "spanner"?? It is afterall this is an AMERICAN forum...not an English one.

I know the above comments are somewhat exaggerated, but that's the point...if you open a thread and some persons are typing in French and you don't understand then get the hell out of the thread or stick around and try to learn something.

Some of the translations noted that Babelfish was used in the translation. There's nothing stopping the non-French speaking people from cutting and pasting the paragraph into Babelfish for their own curiosity.

If anyone feels excluded due to a language barrier in this globalized world then they are truly ignorant of life outside their little communities. There's a great big wonderful world out there people! Travel, learn a new language, meet interesting people, experience life!!!

Then again education programs aren't what they used to be. Could be one of the reasons why countless graduates repeat this phrase every day: "You want fries with that?"

matt719 said:
How did yours turn out?

It tastes great.
Unfortunatley, I let the ambient temperature get too low (12-14C) so the yeast fell. I thought I had adequatley resuspended it, but fermentation stopped. I bottled and thought that the yeast was still suspended and added about 10oz of corn sugar, which hasn't been transformed into alcohol and CO2, so there's always a layer of corn sugar on the bottom of the bottle and the Apfelwein isn't carbonated :(.
But, as I said, it tastes great anyways (bottled December 1st).

:off:
homebrewer_99 said:
As far as the exclusion...nothing's ever mentioned about excluding others when we type in German...

I completley agree with what you say in your post.

mrfocus said:
:off:

I completley agree with what you say in your post.
Thanks.

You know the same goes with our brewing terminology. All the Noobs have to learn it or else they won't understand what we're saying...brewing terms, brewing materials and supplies are a new language to them. :D

I'm certain you would never say "You're in Canada now so speak French". ;)

Nothing wrong with reading a bit of French on this forum, any more than German or Spanish. I tried reading it and translating with my ancient high
school french and got the gist of the conversation. Should have studied more
and at least become bilingual.

xjiefx said:

Cheers, J-F!
D'abord je veux dire que je ne parle aucun français, mais je pense que c'est genre de ordonné. J'emploie Babelfish pour traduire. Ainsi je fais des excuses si quelques choses sont perdues dans la traduction.

Se demandant si vous avez trouvé les ressources pour commencer à brasser votre double farine d'avoine de chocolat vaillante ? Si vous êtes signification vous que vous avez besoin d'une certaine sorte de directions pour commencer à brasser la bière puis les forum de bière de débutant voici dessus un bon endroit pour commencer à lire. Aussi bien que www.howtobrew.com.

Mais je vois que vous avez été autour ici pendant un moment ainsi je suis sûr que vous savez tout ceci. J'ai juste voulu participer.

À la votre

Mod Edit:

First I want to say that I do not french, but I think that's kind of orderly. I use Babelfish to translate. So I apologize if some things are lost in translation.

Wondering if you have found the resources to begin to brew your double oatmeal chocolate valiant? If you mean that you need to have a certain kind of direction to begin to brew beer and the beer forum starting here over a good place to start reading. As well as www.howtobrew.com.

But I see that you have been around here for a while and I am sure you know all this. I just wanted to participate.

boo boo said:
Nothing wrong with reading a bit of French on this forum, any more than German or Spanish. I tried reading it and translating with my ancient high
school french and got the gist of the conversation. Should have studied more
and at least become bilingual.
That was my point exactly...

Merci pour l'errort WOP31!!! / Thanks for the effort WOP31!!!

Je n'ai pas encore brassé de stout au chocolat. Ça sera surement la prochaine sur ma liste. Pour l'instant, j'ai une Danish pilsner et une IPA en cuve primaire. Ces deux bières ont été fait à partir d'extraits déjà pré-houblonné. Peut-être que ma première recette sera la stout en question!

J'ai reçu "the complete joy of homebrewing 3rd edition" pour Noel alors, je devrais l'attaquer bientôt et essayer d'en soutirer le plus d'information possible!

Santé!

/

I did not brew the chocolate stoute yet. It will probably be the next on my list. For now, I have a Danish Pilsner and an IPA in primary. Those two were made from pre-hopped extract kits. Maybe my first shot at a reciepe will be for the stout .

I recieved "the complete joy of homebrewing 3rd edition" for Christmas so, I'll probably attack that book soon and try to gather the most infos possible!

Cheers!

xjiefx said:
A couple of guys who come on this forum are from Montréal or near. And these folks surely speak/write french. So I tought we could start a thread to write about brewing in Mtl. In french or english... as you wish!

[...]

Ok, so, if you don't understand a thing I just wrote and really want to contribute to this thread, just ask and I'll translate!

Cheers!

J-F!

I don't think I started the thread to exclude anybody.

Back