Using pump to vorlauf, wort=chocolate milk. Pump or Malt type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I was all exited to use my new March pump this weekend and vorlaufed with it expecting to finally see that crystal clear particle-free runoff. What I got was something that resembles chocolate milk. It's been fermenting for 24 hrs and it's bubbling away but it's so thick, I can't even see the yeasties floating around. Is it just the malt base I used?

8 lbs 2-row
3.5 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs 20L
.5 lbs Carapils
.5 lbs Victory Malt

Thanks for the insight guys!

With only the info you provide, I would have to say pump flow. I use a March pump to vorlauf as well, and I have a ball valve on my MLT, and of course, the Pump head. I open the MLT valve all the way and open the March pump valve all the way before I switch the pump on only to prime it. Then I throttle way back on the pump head valve before switching it on so I get only a trickle when beginning to vorlauf. Then I will increase the flow slightly.

FWIW, I use a foil well that I vorlauf into so as not to disturb the grianbed--this is probably where you are encountering the problem.

Thanks Schnitzengiggle! That puts my fears to rest that the pump doesn't just aerate the crap out of the wort as it's going through or something to that effect. It sounds like we did the exact same thing. I had the ballvalve on the OUT of my pump closed about 3/4 of the way too. Also had foil on top of the grains so I wouldn't disturb them.

I also added 5.2 stabilizer to my strike water right before mashing which might be a no-no. Could that be it? Any guesses as to how super cloudy, particle-free wort will turn out tasting? :)

Thanks Schnitzengiggle! That puts my fears to rest that the pump doesn't just aerate the crap out of the wort as it's going through or something to that effect. It sounds like we did the exact same thing. I had the ballvalve on the OUT of my pump closed about 3/4 of the way too. Also had foil on top of the grains so I wouldn't disturb them.

I also added 5.2 stabilizer to my strike water right before mashing which might be a no-no. Could that be it? Any guesses as to how super cloudy, particle-free wort will turn out tasting? :)

Super cloudy but particulate free...hmmm, my first thought would be just a bunch of protein in your wort. But it does sound strange to say the least.

Just make sure next time that your flow back into the MLT is not running across the grains. I always get crystal clear wort when I vorlauf with the pump so something does seem amiss.

FWIW, I use the bottom of my pitcher and form a foil bowl around it which I lay my return/vorlauf hose into as not to disturb the grain. I don't lay a sheet of foil across the top of the grainbed or anything like that.

You know, I have been using a pump with my setup for at least a year now, and never thought to vorlauf with it. I always figured if I ever got a constant recirculation system going, that would be the time to do it, but never thought about hooking it up for the end of the mash.

Do you guys heat up the mash before vorlauf to denature the enzymes? I'm just wondering if Beta amylase will become active again and produce a dryer than expected wort.

Back