Specialty IPA: Black IPA Damn the Man Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this recipe on tap for about three weeks now. It's excellent! Thanks to the author. My OG was 1.056 and the beer fermented out in 8 days (I used a 1320mL starter of 1056). I conditioned for two weeks and dry-hopped during the last week of conditioning. Here are some action photos:

MASHING:
brewing.jpg

DRY-HOPPING:
dryHop1.jpg

DRY-HOPPING:
dryHop2.jpg

DRINKING:
glass.jpg

I can guarantee you didnt mix well. There is no way to get that low of a og. Especially with extract. You should be just fine.

So any idea what I can do to guess at the % once I get the FG? Or should I take another reading ASAP? It's been bubbling away for a day now.

So any idea what I can do to guess at the % once I get the FG? Or should I take another reading ASAP? It's been bubbling away for a day now.

Once it's really done fermenting measure the finishing gravity and multiply that by 4 to get a good guestimate of the original gravity.

I've had this recipe on tap for about three weeks now. It's excellent! Thanks to the author. My OG was 1.056 and the beer fermented out in 8 days (I used a 1320mL starter of 1056). I conditioned for two weeks and dry-hopped during the last week of conditioning. Here are some action photos:

Aww you're just showing off now. (nice setup) :mug:

Looks good. I've currently got a recipe similar to yours fermenting. I'm of the same mindset that a black IPA should be a bit different than just a black-colored IPA.

Here's mine:

11 lbs two row
.75 carafa II
.5 c-80
.25 special roast
1 oz warrior @60
1 oz amarillo @60
1 oz cascade@60
1 oz amarillo hop tea added at kegging
1 oz cascade hop tea

I think this style is fairly fool proof. Tasted it already and it tastes good.

Anyone have a problem with overly-bitter malt profile from Caraffa 2? I've noticed a slight thin bitterness that I am pretty sure is coming from the high kiln malts (not from infection, fermentation temp etc). I recently did more of a scaled back bipa and used 3% Carafa Special II, 2% Chocolate, and had a much lower IBU (45). The only other time I've used Carafa was in a porter last year w 3.8%, and it had the same odd bitterness. Esp odd bc carafa is 'debittered' malt right?

Any feedback on using Carafa - or similar problems w dark malts?

For reference my BIPA recipe was

11 lbs MO
.75 lbs Vienna
.50 lbs Crystal 80 3.8%
.375 lbs Carafa Special II 2.9%
.25 lbs Chocolate 1.9%

.75 oz CTZ 60 min
.50 oz EKG 5 min
1.50 oz EKG flameout

I'll probably tweak this towards DAMN THE MAN next time. I will definitely be bumping the IBUs!!
Thanks

This is probably the best beer!!

I finished it a couple of months ago and I miss it, until now I've never made the same beer twice, but this is going to be the first recipe that I repeat, line for line as soon as I get those ingredients again.

Well done and thank you Damdaman!

I just yesterday got a hold of Otter Creek Black IPA and I loved it. Decent hop flavor with the malt backbone of a coffee porter.

I'm not familiar with the grains used in this the OP's recipe, will this come close to Otter Creeks? Or should I grab a porter recipe and hop the living bejebus out of it?

I just yesterday got a hold of Otter Creek Black IPA and I loved it. Decent hop flavor with the malt backbone of a coffee porter.

I'm not familiar with the grains used in this the OP's recipe, will this come close to Otter Creeks? Or should I grab a porter recipe and hop the living bejebus out of it?

I'm not familiar with Otter Creek's version, but a black IPA should not be a hoppy porter. It should be dry and crisp like an IPA, not sweet and malty like a porter. At least in my opinion.

My recipe will not give you as much dark malt flavor as a porter. It is intended to be black in color with a definitely detectable and yummy roast flavor, but one that doesn't dominate the beer.

I'm not familiar with Otter Creek's version, but a black IPA should not be a hoppy porter. It should be dry and crisp like an IPA, not sweet and malty like a porter. At least in my opinion.

My recipe will not give you as much dark malt flavor as a porter. It is intended to be black in color with a definitely detectable and yummy roast flavor, but one that doesn't dominate the beer.

Interesting. The otter creek had a strong hop welcome with a charred coffee malty finish. I really liked the combination.

I'm pondering it's just our differences in palate. I'm gonna have to give yours a try and find out. I really fell in love with OC's BIPA and I want to brew one.

I have a black IPA from a similar recipe just about gone in the keg now and I'm going to work with it again. Like others, I think I will increase my dry hop time to get a bit more aroma.

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs Crystal 45
1 lb Carafa I
1/2 lb roasted barley
1 oz Columbus 90 min
1/2 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz cascade 20 min
1/2 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz cascade dry hop 7 days.....going to bump this up to 10

I really like it .... I got turned on to black IPA from Back In Black IPA from 21st Ammendment Brew

used this recipe for my first all grain batch. fermentation is done and the reading was right on the mark. tasted amazing. nice subtle roastyness. I plant o wait another week, dry hop, and then bottle.

Drinking this at around 4 weeks in bottle now. The description is right on: roasty but not malty. Flavor balance is really spot-on: roastiness does not overpower hops, just complements. I only dry-hopped one ounce, am now wishing I'd been man enough for 2 (last experience with dry hops was messy and dispiriting). I pitched rehydrated S-05 and am very happy with the outcome. It's great not having to make a starter.

I am looking to make a Black IPA and I'm looking at every recipe I can on here. Hate to revive an old thread, but hopefully I can get a response, as the recipe is still very present.

The original post said the recipe should "have enough dark malt flavor to justify their color (not using only Carafa III)". That description is just what I'm looking for. Isn't Carafa III the same as Black Patent, which, if only using Carafa III, would be extremely roast? Does it make sense that the OP means Carafa Special III, which to my understanding is de-bittered? I've never used these ingredients before, so I'd love to have some clarification.

This recipe has had lots of positive feedback ... what has everybody been using? Looking forward to some responses

special is what you want for a black ipa

Thinking of brewing this in a few days but I think it should be normal Carafa not special. Because the original poster said he didn't have any experience with de-bittered malt and also that he liked to have a roasty taste and not a black beer that tastes like an IPA.

Anyone on the boards who has brewed this and confirm I can use the normal -Carafa? :mug:

As long as its a "de-bittered" roasted malt without a husk you are good. I personally like to use midnight wheat or blackprinz when I run out for black IPAs. They are darker than CIII (so you can use less) and have less roast character. Its also a good idea to add the darkening malt only at mashout if you are trying to keep roast character to an absolute minimum

Anyone on the boards who has brewed this and confirm I can use the normal -Carafa? :mug:

I'll actually answer your question. I asked the original question about Special vs Regular, but I did not brew this recipe. However, I have enough experience now to give you at least some insight.

The OP stated "Black IPAs should have enough dark malt flavor to justify their color (not using only Carafa III)", which, IMO, implies that he/she thinks that using only Carafa III would give you not much roasty flavor, and would only really contribute color. This is the opposite from true, so the OP is confused somewhere along the line. So its unclear whether the OP knows the difference between Special and Regular, and its also unclear whether the OP meant they did not have experience with specifically Dingeman's Debittered Black malt or dehusked black malt in general.

For my approach to a Black IPA I used a larger quantity of dehusked black malt for my color and roast flavors ... almost 10% (it was session strength so number might be misleading) and I liked it as a starting point, maybe a touch on the roasty side.

As far as this recipe, I would guess at 3% chocolate malt and 3% dehusked black malt you would be in the right range. The chocolate malt should get you there in terms of having enough roastiness. That much husked black malt with the chocolate malt would probably make you in more of a hoppy porter range.

Cheers!

I'll actually answer your question. I asked the original question about Special vs Regular, but I did not brew this recipe. However, I have enough experience now to give you at least some insight.

The OP stated "Black IPAs should have enough dark malt flavor to justify their color (not using only Carafa III)", which, IMO, implies that he/she thinks that using only Carafa III would give you not much roasty flavor, and would only really contribute color. This is the opposite from true, so the OP is confused somewhere along the line. So its unclear whether the OP knows the difference between Special and Regular, and its also unclear whether the OP meant they did not have experience with specifically Dingeman's Debittered Black malt or dehusked black malt in general.

For my approach to a Black IPA I used a larger quantity of dehusked black malt for my color and roast flavors ... almost 10% (it was session strength so number might be misleading) and I liked it as a starting point, maybe a touch on the roasty side.

As far as this recipe, I would guess at 3% chocolate malt and 3% dehusked black malt you would be in the right range. The chocolate malt should get you there in terms of having enough roastiness. That much husked black malt with the chocolate malt would probably make you in more of a hoppy porter range.

Cheers!

Thanks for your detailed answer and the other replies too. :mug:
Carafa Special it is then :D

Back