Original gravity a little off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
So BeerSmith estimated the OG of my Irish stout to be around 1.052 but in the end it was 1.062 when I measured it. This was a partial mash with grains steeped for 30 mins.

Is it normal for that to happen sometimes and what effect will it have, just a little higher ABV?

That really just means your ABV will be a bit higher <as long as fermentation goes well> And depending on the type of grain you steeped, you may get a bit maltier taste. Overall, really the best way to "correct" this problem, is to <everyone say it with me> Relax, Have a Homebrew

Yeah I figured it was no big deal just wasn't sure why it might be off. I think it'll turn out nicely. :)

You either added more extract that the recipe called for, or you used less water. Extract brews are usually pretty close, within a couple points.

Neither of those apply as far as I know. Maybe I did the reading wrong somehow or the steep was more efficient? I dunno.

paranode said:
Neither of those apply as far as I know. Maybe I did the reading wrong somehow or the steep was more efficient? I dunno.

Was it a partial mash, or did you steep?? If you truly mashed your grains, then you may have gotten a better efficiency than you anticipated.

If you just steeped the grains, its unlikely your grains contributed much toward your OG. In this case, your error likely lies in your extract and/or the amount of it you used.

What temp did you check your OG at?? This may also play something into it.

It was at 78F but I added .002 to correct so that shouldn't be the problem. It was steeped grains, I thought that was "partial mash"... maybe I have my terms confused.

paranode said:
It was at 78F but I added .002 to correct so that shouldn't be the problem. It was steeped grains, I thought that was "partial mash"... maybe I have my terms confused.

Yes, you do, but that's ok. ;) A lot of people make the same mistake initially.

Partial mash means you take grain and undergo a mashing process, followed by lautering which contributes fermentable sugars to your wort. Just steeping your grains gives only color and some flavor, and gives very little as far as fermentables are concerned-- one reason for this is the thinness and process of steeping as compared to a true mash.

Nothing wrong with steeping, though. . .

Now you know. . . and (to copy off of GI Joe), knowing's half the battle. :D :mug:

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

I guess maybe I didn't add back enough water and boiled off more than I thought, that would explain the gravity perhaps.

Back