1 vs 2 packets of dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
i picked up a second packet just in case. s-04 just says to sprinkle in without rehydration. think it would be a good idea to add both or wait in case fermentation doesn't take off?

SInce 1 is more than adequate for most 5 gallon batches of beer, I would stick the other one if the fridge and save it for your next batch. Fermentation rarely doesn't take off, like about 99.5% of the time.

I rehydrate for 30 minutes at 100F then pitch. Fermentation always starts under 24 hours, usually around the 12-18h mark.

That will work, but if you give the yeast a chance to hydrate and "wake up" before you pitch, you will have better yeast viability and health.

next question. i should wait for temp to reach 100 degrees celsius before i mix in extract correct?

I don't think you have to, but it's definitely easier to get extract to go into solution when the water is already boiling. I always put mine into water that was already boiling.

next question. i should wait for temp to reach 100 degrees celsius before i mix in extract correct?

I don't think you have to. I've stirred mine in around 160F and then stirred profusely while bringing the temp up to a boil. My impression is that as long as the extract doesn't sit on the bottom of the kettle and burn, you're golden.

allright sweet guess everything went to plan then. i just poured the yeast right in and by the time i woke up in the morning it was fermenting vigorously

Back