Hi guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redleif

Reaction score
Hi guys, just joined the forum and I wanted to say how much good information there is on here. For the Americans amongst us I live in the South West of England (Bristol). An area of the world renowned for it's great cider production.

At the moment I have a pair of three gallon buckets fermenting away in my kitchen, using a mix of apples donated/collected from a variety of sources. The fermentation process started at the same time although bucket 1 has got a fair bit of foam under the lid and lots of action through the airlock but number 2 doesn't have as much action through the airlock and you can hear it fizzing, plus it looks carbonated. Anyone have any idea as to why they are behaving differently/what stages they are at?

I must have about an inch and a half gap from the top of the liquid to the lid if that's any help....

Off now to search the forums for more gems!

Thanks

Fizzing would indicate to me that there is a small leak somewhere. Check the seals on your lid and airlock.

Welcome and cheers!

Thank you!

When I say fizzing I mean I can hear the carbonating fizzing away when I lift the lid a touch and put my ear close! Having said that both are doing it now when I check! One is more active through the airlock than the other though, maybe the second one is just a slow starter!?

Hi there,

Yep I am using the same yeast in each, measured by eye so I'm guessing I may have slightly more yeast in the more active of the two buckets?

Saying that, it has been fermenting in the buckets since last Saturday but seems to have slowed right down to almost a few 'blubs' out the air locks per couple of hours. Is the cider entering the second stage of fermentation? Is it natural to slow right down?

The hydrometer reading today was just over 1005 in each of the two barrels so there has definitely been some hungry hungry yeast action!

If your hydrometer reads 1.005, it's pretty close to being done & the slow down is natural. Always go by your hydrometer rather than by how many bubbles are going thru your airlock. Regards, GF.

Thanks for the reply.

I pressed the juice last saturday, added campden tablets etc then the yeast on sunday. the SG was 1055 in both buckets and now, only 6 days later they hydrometer reads just over 1000 in both. Is that unusual for the fermentation to finish so quickly?! Shall I siphon off into other containers or straight into bottles now?

Back