Is it possible to lower the final gravity by adding water at the time of kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernthoosed

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I am a noob and while racking into secondary found that my recent hefeweizen (though it needs a few more weeks of conditioning) to be rather heavy and almost over bodied. I have not yet learned how to use a hydrometer (which I plan to do on my next brew). I wonder if it is possible to add water during the fermentation or at the time of kegging to make it lighter and more refreshing (if it does not mellow out by that time). To make matters worse I squeezed the hop bags right before pitching the yeast. It made my brew more bitter than I wanted.

I used an all grain recipe of five lbs unmalted wheat and 10 lbs 2 row malt and 3 lbs oatmeal (fully cooked before mashing). I now know that was too much :eek: Thanks for any help or advice.

I would not recommend adding water post fermentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could add water as long as it has been boiled although it may affect the beer negatively. your better bet is when ou bottle let it age and that usually helps. also although it may not turn out as hefe as youd like its very likely to be tasty if not better then a regular hefe

By adding water you're just diluting it so yes it would lower the gravity but if you're not using a hydrometer you can't even know what that is. I'd go with demonrichie's suggestion and just let it age a bit. I haven't been brewing for a super long time but I made two batches of the same orange wheat and the second one definately didn't turn out as well as the first. It wasn't as good so it didn't get consumed very fast and most of it ended up sitting around for about a month and a half and I cracked one the other day and it was a world of difference (in a good way). It's amazing what time will do when it comes to homebrewing.

Wow, You guys are awesome. I have even more resolve now to just let it sit and mellow. I have been a little too impatient in the past.

Thanks for all of the great advice!!

JP

Latest posts

Back