What will I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkincaid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some left over unhopped LME a little over 3lbs, and hops, and no extra grains. I've got a couple batches under my belt that came out amazing, but they took much larger amounts of LME. So far only one of my recipes called for extra grains to be steeped. I've looked for purely extract beers and most call for a bag of something...

I was wondering if I make a wort from this LME and my hops, with some additional fermentables, will I get a decent 5 gallon batch of drinkable beer? I don't want to waste it by throwing it out, but I need to use it soon.

I'm willing to experiment...just asking for ideas. :mug:

Three pounds of LME will get you a beer in the low to mid 20 range for gravity. I've actually got a tafel bier going right now that started in that range. However, there were grains involved as well as extract. You could just shoot for a smaller batch size.

If I were in that position, I'd get a jug of honey and make a quick braggot with it.

But I've had braggots on my mind for a few days now, so that could explain my impulse.

6 lbs of honey with that LME would give you about 1.065 as an OG for a nice light braggot. Hmmm... I might just do this myself. heheh

yea youd be fine without grains. You could do what chshrecat is suggesting for a full batch, or you could shoot for a smaller batch as well. But you should be fine regardless of what you choose.

actually, i just looked up what braggot was as i did not know, and it seems that you have all the ingredients to you need to make it! Just get that honey! +1 to Mr. Cat.

If I were in that position, I'd get a jug of honey and make a quick braggot with it.

But I've had braggots on my mind for a few days now, so that could explain my impulse.

6 lbs of honey with that LME would give you about 1.065 as an OG for a nice light braggot. Hmmm... I might just do this myself. heheh

+2 braggot with 6lbs honey... I have 5-6lbs of local honey coming from a bee hobbiest ... will be expensive but love all mead products. worth the price never done a braggot!

First, you don't need to use it soon. LME lasts for months at room temperature and almost forever in the fridge.

Second, you can make 3 gallons of a 3.5% Pale. Depending on the hops you have, read up on hop bursting.

Back