HIPA (Heavy IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozone

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
American Ale Wyeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 75 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-
Tasting Notes
Intense hop flavor and nose
As per the name, I'm in health services and HIPA seemed fitting. I called this an extract though it does have a small steep period at the start. Had my other fermenters filled with saisons so this came out of primary directly into bottling bucket (I was too lazy to clean the fermenter and rerack, it was one of those days). The use of light ME as opposed to pale was due to the fact that I had 2 cans of light on hand and was itchin to brew an IPA. I found the light does, obviously, add a deeper amber color but gives a fuller body and there is a hint of residual malt sweetness behind an impressive hops hit on the nose and the palate. So, for an off the cuff light malt IPA (ILA?) with no secondary fermentation and a blown airlock (more of that later)... unexpectedly fantastic results. I love the experimental side of this hobby :) (sometimes).

HIPA
1/4tsp gypsum in 1.5gal water
1# Lovibond steeped at 170 degrees for 20m
Remove lovibond and bring to boil
6.6# light LME (-90m)
1# light DME (-90m)
1.5oz Centennial pellets (-85m)
1tsp Irish Moss (-20m)
1/2oz Centennial pellets (-20m)
1/2oz Cascade pellets (-10m)
1/2oz Cascade pellets (-1m)
Top to 5gal in primary
American Ale Wyeast
1/2# light brown sugar on day 2
1/2oz Cascade whole hops on day 3
1/4oz Cascade whole hops on day 5
1/4oz Cascade whole hops on day 7
Bottle day 10
Settle 2-3 weeks (hide some)
OG:1.068
FG:1.015
%:6.5
Note: I did not take a gravity after the addition of the brown sugar, so final % may be slightly lower then recorded.
Also note: Waking the next morning I found the float of my airlock about 2 feet from the fermenter (no cap). This required a blowoff.

Love it. Have to hide a few bottles from myself and deny their existence to my buds so I'll have some left long enough to settle out.

EDIT:
The dry hopping, which seemed great at first, seems to have mellowed a bit within the past 2 weeks. IF I were to run this again, I'd double the numbers on the dry hopping.

Back