beer enthusiast from NC!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerfherder

Reaction score
hello all,
I'm currently deployed to Iraq, and fortunately my tour is winding down. Its been a long time since i've had a beer, so naturally, I began to google random beer related things and really discovered home brewing. I read Palmer's How to Brew in a little under two days. Then I began perusing the appendices and his recommended readings. I can't really draw a line on how I came across this forum, but I am glad that I did. There are two people in my unit (that I know of) that are or have home brewed; I never have, but from what i've read, it sounds like a big science project. A big, delicious, intoxicating science project. And since I've always had an affinity for creating things and science, I think this will be a perfect hobby for me.
I have a few questions, but I will save those for the proper threads and forums. (and it seems that most questions will be answered through a search, as this is a fairly high traffic forum)

you know, i see this as the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Welcome to the obsession...I mean the forums. Thank you for your service. Your questions will more than likely be answered more indepthly (if that's a a word) than you had hoped.

Hi,

First off- thanks for your service.

Palmer's book is great.
When you get back to the world and you're ready to start brewing- a brew club is a big plus. Search around for one close to your duty station.

Welcome to the board, and the obsession.
You will find that even your first brewed beer will be amazingly easy and amazingly tasty.

Read as much as you can until you are able to get set up with the basics. After that, just take it slowly and you will have a great time with it.

Hi,

First off- thanks for your service.

Palmer's book is great.
When you get back to the world and you're ready to start brewing- a brew club is a big plus. Search around for one close to your duty station.

the good news about this is that it seems that north carolina is up and coming with home brewers/micro breweries. and the fact that i'm in the national guard, so i'll be happy to not wear this uniform everyday.

Welcome to the board, and the obsession.
You will find that even your first brewed beer will be amazingly easy and amazingly tasty.

Read as much as you can until you are able to get set up with the basics. After that, just take it slowly and you will have a great time with it.

I have been reading quite a bit, but sometimes it gets rough due to the fact that i can't do anything BUT read. i actually had a dream the other night that i was swimming in an ocean of Guinness.

Welcome! I repeat what others have already said: thank you for your service! Travel home safely!

And I can only encourage you to read Palmer a second time all the way through. I read it three times before I brewed my first batch, and I've been back to hit specific chapters several times since. John has some great knowledge in his noggin, and his book is totally accessible and handy.

Good luck in your brewing adventures!

And I can only encourage you to read Palmer a second time all the way through. I read it three times before I brewed my first batch, and I've been back to hit specific chapters several times since. John has some great knowledge in his noggin, and his book is totally accessible and handy.

I undoubtedly will, I might even print out a copy of it so that i could read it again on the way back.
One thing that I was thinking about doing, is meeting up with someone local to help them brew a batch just to get a feel for it. (crawl, walk, run)
Oh, and Foothills is an awesome place, but I don't go there as often as I would like to.

I undoubtedly will, I might even print out a copy of it so that i could read it again on the way back.
One thing that I was thinking about doing, is meeting up with someone local to help them brew a batch just to get a feel for it. (crawl, walk, run)
Oh, and Foothills is an awesome place, but I don't go there as often as I would like to.

Well, I ain't exactly local, or I'd have you come by for my next session.

Small world, I'm a new brewer in Winston as well. I've been brewing with my dad on and off for a year or so and plan on doing my first solo venture next weekend. Anyways you're more than welcome to come see me or my dad brew, and I'm an infrequent member of the Worthawgs in Winston, but you should check out a meeting. Last Tuesday of every month at Foothills. We're launching a new website very soon so I'll post that next week.

Thank you for your time and service! Hit me up when you're getting back in town.

Latest posts

Back