Stout or Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpBrewing

Reaction score
Hello again guys. I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I just went to the store and threw together some ingredients. Just a big experiment brew. The beer turned out GREAT! However, I'm unsure if it's a porter or a stout since some call their stouts porters and their porters stouts. So hopefully you guys can help a little? Here is the recipe, simple, but delicious.

2lbs chocolate malt
2lbs smoked malt
1lb munich dark malt
6lb pils malt
4lb pale malt

60 min - fuggles 1 oz
45 min - Hallataur .60 oz
30 min - Kent 1 oz
15 min - Vanguard 1 oz

Also, the only flaw I can think of with this beer is that the head dissipates very quickly then what my friend mentioned is that it looks flat, even though it's not. Does anyone know what I could add to this recipe without changing it much, get the same or near the same results and have a nice almost Guinness or perhaps even Belhaven's Scottish Stout like head? Thanks guys!

technically it would be both, no matter what. My understanding of the history of this beer, is that at some point somebody went from making a porter to making a stout porter, just another version of the first beer. A stout is a stout porter, and a porter is... well a porter. So your question is actually is it a porter or a stout porter.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think porter. If it were more "stout" then it would be a stout porter. Sometimes those porters needed something a little more sturdy to get them through the shift!

Wouldn't the absence of roasted barley make it a porter and not a stout?

Wouldn't the absence of roasted barley make it a porter and not a stout?

That seems to be the generally accepted idea, though it's not universal. I usually identify the signifiers as (1.) roasted barley and (2.) amount of hoppy flavor/aroma, though I realize the second would be more controversial.

Hello again guys. I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I just went to the store and threw together some ingredients. Just a big experiment brew. The beer turned out GREAT! However, I'm unsure if it's a porter or a stout since some call their stouts porters and their porters stouts. So hopefully you guys can help a little? Here is the recipe, simple, but delicious.

2lbs chocolate malt
2lbs smoked malt
1lb munich dark malt
6lb pils malt
4lb pale malt

60 min - fuggles 1 oz
45 min - Hallataur .60 oz
30 min - Kent 1 oz
15 min - Vanguard 1 oz

Also, the only flaw I can think of with this beer is that the head dissipates very quickly then what my friend mentioned is that it looks flat, even though it's not. Does anyone know what I could add to this recipe without changing it much, get the same or near the same results and have a nice almost Guinness or perhaps even Belhaven's Scottish Stout like head? Thanks guys!

use a little flaked Barley to help the head retention

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 13

...by connotation if not by strict denotation. ;)

Roasted barley seems to be the one ingredient the lion's share of Stout recipes have in common.

It actually repeatedly says "roasted malts and/or grain" which just means any dark grain (chocolate, black patent, roasted barley, carafa etc...). The only one that actually calls for "roasted unmalted barley" specifically is Dry Stout.

Plus if you look at the guidlines for robust porter it says "Chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions."

Since you don't have any roasted barley or black patent, I'd call it a Brown or a Brown Porter.

Thanks for all the help! Sounds good to me. All I know for sure is it's a damn good beer! Thanks again!

Back