Question about underpitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
I brewed up a robust porter on Saturday, and was forced to pitch a smack pack of wyeast American Ale after it had been prepping for about 5 hours, because the LHBS was out of dry yeast. I know that I under pitched the yeast, and fermentation got off to a vigorous start about 24 hours after pitching. My question is, will this underpitch result in my porter being overly estery, or will the heavy flavors of the beer mask them somewhat, and also, will I have to repitch some yeast to get it to fully attenuate? The OG was 1.065, and I am fermenting at about 69-70 degrees. I am about to rack some blonde ale fermented with safale 05 and I could repitch a portion of the slurry today to overcome the inital underpitch if that would make any difference. Thanks for the input.

24 hours isn't a problem. The attenuation range for Wyeast American Ale isn't much less than S-05

Underpitching is not all about underattenuation. By underpitching you are forcing the yeast to bud off too many daughter cells. You really want to keep it to 4 or 5 buds. You get more than 7 or so going on it scars the cell wall and leaves it far less pliable, meaning they have a harder time regulating what goes in and out. This leaves a lot of alcohol inside the cell which is one of the least healthy things for it and will lead to no re absorption of diacetyl or acetaldehyde and possible autolysis.

You will be absolutely fine. I do not make a starter for my robust porter and I never have problems with it. I usually use American II (1274???) for that beer, but 1056 will do just fine. I would not worry about it.

Back