Just a Little Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSH_Lance

Reaction score
I recently made a beer with the following ingredients:

3# Muntons Light Dry Extract
3# Wheat Extract Liquid
3oz Hallertau Hops
Wyeast German Wheat

After 15 minutes added 1 oz hops, then last 15 minutes added 1 oz. hops, Then turned fire off, added 1 oz hops and cooled in ice tube.

It is a little bitter, I want to try it again but with less hops...where should I cut the hops out? First Hop, Sencond Hop or Final Hop.

Your first hop addition will add the most bitterness, but Hallertau is a pretty mild hop in flavor, aroma, and AA%. What type of beer were you trying to make? How long has it been in the bottle? A green (too young) beer will have some flavors that seem bitter. That being said if it's a hefe-weizen (which your recipe suggests) you should start popping them after two weeks in the bottle.

Cutting down on the earliest addition will reduce bitterness. Long boils are for bitterness, short or no boils for aroma a flavor.

It has been in the bottle 2 days short of 2 weeks. I was trying for a hefe-weizen style. I dont know how much time I need to cut off of the boil. I think I might try to cut the time in half....

1 hour boil...

add 1oz hops at last 25 minutes then 1oz at last 10 minutes then 1oz to finish...

The beer is fine for me, but I am making this for others to drink and the comments have been a little bitter.....

Thanks for the help... and if it doesnt turn out, ill drink it anyway...

If you were trying for a hefe, low hop count is usually the style.
When I brewed my hefe, I only added 1oz of bittering hops for 60mins.
If you want to brew this again and like the flavor, cut out the 45min addition or 1 oz.
Experiment.

Back