new guy frome fraser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffTheTaxidermist

Reaction score
heyo, just wanted to rear my ugly head in here and say hello. im neil, im a virgin brewer w a batch of honeycomb amber from cap n cork in my primary... been a week and im about to test final gravity today... if i can find a tutorial on what exactly it is im looking for/testing lol. any way, im hungry for knowledge and researching on my time off. so yeah. good to be here and look forward to talking to you guys.

Hey, welcome to brewing :D. Feel free to post any questions you might have. I would say join a local homebrew club. You'll get feedback on your beers and learn alot. I would say join CRAFT but I am biased as I'm the VP. :D You're also fairly close the KGB which is based out of Kuhnhenn's. The next CRAFT meeting is on December 17th at 7pm at Sherwood Brewing Company @ Hayes and M-59.

i got on the craft fb, havent really seen much of it yet. im maybe a week into this hobby, so im taking it in as i can, between two jobs. but im hungry to learn and id love to make it out to a meeting.

To answer your question, you want to compare your final gravity(FG) reading to what your original gravity(OG) was. Let's say your OG was 1.058 then what is your reading now? If it was say 1.040 or 1.030 then your beer is not ready ... the yeast still have work to do. If your FG is 1.020 or 1.010 then it is PROBABLY done.

The best way to know (until you get more comfortable) is to check serial gravities... check every couple days until it stops dropping, then you know it is done.

A 'lazy man' way is to just wait longer than you need. If you give a normal ale 2 weeks in the primary at 60-70 F and then 2 more weeks in the secondary at 60-70F it will almost certainly be done and ready for bottles.

Let us know if you have any more questions. There are good youtube videos too.

Back