Ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
This is my recipe
20 lb 2 row
1 lb Carmel 60
4 oz Thomas faucet amber
2 oz Columbus @ 60
Mix together 2oz williamette,2 oz simcoe,1oz Amarillo ,1oz cascade continuous hop from 40 min to 0
Pacman yeast starter
10 gal recipe
Tell me what you think?

The grain bill looks good. Is there a specific reason for adding the Willamette? I only ask because it isn't really a flavor hop nor does it have high alpha. I would say keep it out and use it in a stout or a cream or so.

Other than the Wilamette, it looks like you are going for a nice citrusy IPA. Personally I'd sub out the Wilamette for more cascade (similar AA to Wilamette). Any plans to dryhop as well?

Maybe go for a first wort hopping with the columbus, to create a smooth bitterness and a little flavor. Then, I would drop the willamette and add citra or centennial. Also, maybe just add that mix of hops at 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins left in the boil. The Pacman yeast is going to leave that beer pretty dry. It chews through EVERYTHING! :)

I think using the Willamette is creative. It certainly wont overpower the other hops.

The hops are a personal preference but I would start hop bursting at 15 minutes left. I don't think you get much out of a 30-40 minute if your goal is to extract flavor

Looks kinda like dfh 90 min but different hop combo. I agree with dropping the willamette. Sounds good though!

What's with the Willamette hate?

Personally fond of a Cascade, Willamette blend and have used it in many different styles.

Back