Adding Honey to A NB Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tme001

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I'm about to brew a NB Cream Ale extract kit. Two things I had planned on doing: After primary fermentation has slowed down a bit, I planned on adding 2 lbs of Honey to the fermentation to add a light flavor to the beer. Then I planned on racking to secondary (something I normally do not do) to add some sweet orange peel to the brew.

My questions for all of you would be recommended timing. Should I add the honey after primary fermentation has slowed down, or add it to the boil? How much sweet orange peel would you recommend? Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

I would add at end of boil. This will sterilize the honey but prevent you from boiling off the honey's flavors. Honey has its own wild yeast and needs to be pasteurized.

Edit:I have brewed a honey wheat and this is what the recipe suggested. Also keepin mind honey is a simple sugar and will ferment almost completely, unlike malt, leaving you a dryer beer

Back